Osage Orange

5 hours ago, Paula said:

Figs?!

Yup. And they're very tasty, BTW. The young trees are in 5 gallon buckets and come in for the winter. The bigger trees get the FEMA tent and tarp treatment in the back yard. He's been pretty successful so far. His father-in-law is from Italy and has been growing figs around here for over fifty years, so my brother has a leg-up on the process. I want him to try olives. I really like olives. We'll see.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:03 AM, philoshop said:

Osage orange is also known  as simply 'hedge'.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:37 AM, wildcat junkie said:

Hedge Apple.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, philoshop said:

I've heard that and just plain Hedge. Depends on the region, I suppose.

"Hedge Apple" is extremely common in Southern Indiana. Mention "Osage Orange" and nobody knows what you're talking about.

2 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

"Hedge Apple" is extremely common in Southern Indiana. Mention "Osage Orange" and nobody knows what you're talking about.

I have no reason to doubt that Wildcat. Tree names can be very location-specific. Terminology regarding firewood, in general, can be very location-specific.

There's a guy not too far from me advertising, "A cord of seasoned fire-wood for 75 dollars." Of course I called to see what he had. It turned out to be what is commonly known around here as a "face cord", which is one-third of a cord. And "seasoned" meant he cut it last weekend and will split it before he brings it over. I honestly don't think the guy is even a scammer. He just doesn't know.

Hedge Apple, Hedge, Osage Orange, it doesn't really matter. The people I know who deal with it tend to call it the "chain-wrecker". Sparks fly when you put a chainsaw to it.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:33 PM, XGX7PM said:

Years down the road ł can harvest some for various woodworking projects.

ł haven't found anything that indicates Ruffed Grouse will like this but my gut tells me they will. Any wildlife calling it home will be nice whether it be rabbits, birds... Woodchucks be damned.

Also wouldn't hurt to have this as a wind break on the northernmost parts of my property especially since that's where ł am most susceptible to trespassers. (2 in 5 years)

Once 3-4" of snow covers up other food sources, cottontails will concentrate on hedge apples.