Hand Loading Manual For Beginners?

grampy

My first round handloaded!
52.0 gr. H4831
Case length 2.540
CCI #200 primer.
Overall length  3.252 to match length of Federal Premium Nosler BT.
Bullet is one of a bunch of 140g Silvertips. given to me by Dinsdale. "thanks again Dan"
Took some time setting the bullet seating die. But good to go now, and that was one of the things I was worried about.
All case prep was fun.
Took notes and followed my manuals all the way through. The first steps are the hardest for any journey. I took those today. I'm really looking forward to see where this journey takes me. Experimenting with the rounds I make at the range, will be next. Will keep detailed notes.
I hope my reloading journey has me walking up on a deer killed with one of my own rounds!20181230_151039.thumb.jpg.bd737d0f9f0f28de9701dcabfc9d9ebb.jpg20181230_151228.thumb.jpg.aab0549d10bd1dd4e94d8f72f0cd9952.jpg
20181230_151039.thumb.jpg.1e6811a8d5b19a4830289c4e584094bf.jpg
Should get a comparator tool like this...

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/precision-measuring/precision-tools-and-gauges/lock-n-load-bullet-comparator#!/

It will greatly help your consistency by measuring off the ogive which is the part of the bullet that will first hit the rifling. Thereby giving you the most consistent load length as measuring from the tip can be a bit inconsistent as there is variation in length amongst bullets even in the same lot at same caliber and weight.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Should get a comparator tool like this...

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/precision-measuring/precision-tools-and-gauges/lock-n-load-bullet-comparator#!/

It will greatly help your consistency by measuring off the ogive which is the part of the bullet that will first hit the rifling. Thereby giving you the most consistent load length as measuring from the tip can be a bit inconsistent as there is variation in length amongst bullets even in the same lot at same caliber and weight.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Most bullet seating dies bear on the ogive. I set my bullet seating dies by adjusting the bullet seating depth using a dummy/loaded round of the OAL I am seeking.

The length if the bullet can vary so measuring the actual OAL of the cartridge is merely verifying that one is "in the ballpark".  Polymer tipped bullets are not as bad as bullets with exposed lead tips in that respect.

To duplicate the OAL if the factory loads, back the bullet seating length off far enough so as to not contact the bullet as you bring the press all the way down on the factory cartridge.  Adjust the seating plug down with your fingers until it contacts the bullet and tighten the lock nut.

• 2 weeks later...

You can not have too many loading manuals Grampy, they are all a bit different and something can be learned from each one. I have one of those little Lee presses, it is handy, I have used it along with the universal Lee decapping die quite a bit  for depriming cases. I did a thousand Lake City 223 military cases a little while back with that setup.

Al

• Like 1