Security system outdoor cameras question.

mowin

Looking to get a security camera system.  Lot of different types of systems out there.  One thing I noticed is some cameras min low temp is not low enough. 

Looking at this type.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/night-owl-4-channel-4-camera-indoor-outdoor-wireless-1080p-nvr-surveillance-system/5824304.p?skuId=5824304

Needs to be wireless as my shop is 75' away from the house, and the wired systems cables are not weather rated. Yes, most wireless  cameras need to be plugged in to a outlet, but there not wired to the base system. There are some truly wireless cameras, but I don't want to be swapping out batteries all the time.

What system do you have and what's the pros and cons? 

Not looking for ADT or anything like that.  Don't want the monthly fees. 

Edited by mowin

Fully wireless, have my eye on these...

the blink systems are ok, fully wireless, but vid quality sucks over 25-30 ft away...also have Amcrest PTZ cams inside facing outside, they have better quality than the blink cams that are designed for outdoor use....

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-security-surveillance-camera-system/wireless-system-with-6-rechargeable-wire-free-cameras/LWF2080B-66-1-p

the Amcrest cams are pointing outside a window, cell phone alerts and views, however saving the footage is a bit of a pain.  The Blink systems, have a GREAT way of saving footage.  Plus you can send it to another phone like a text.

Edited by Bionic

9 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Fully wireless, have my eye on these...

the blink systems are ok, fully wireless, but vid quality sucks over 25-30 ft away...also have Amcrest PTZ cams inside facing outside, they have better quality than the blink cams that are designed for outdoor use....

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-security-surveillance-camera-system/wireless-system-with-6-rechargeable-wire-free-cameras/LWF2080B-66-1-p

the Amcrest cams are pointing outside a window, cell phone alerts and views, however saving the footage is a bit of a pain.  The Blink systems, have a GREAT way of saving footage.  Plus you can send it to another phone like a text.

I've been looking at the lorex full wireless, but I've read that the 4month battery life is based on only 2-4 events a day.  I've got more turkeys and deer walking around. I'd be swapping out batteries ever month at the longest.  Hell, just me coming and going well be more than enough to zap the batteries. 

11 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Does your  wifi reach out 75 feet from outside your house first thing. You are going to have to figure out  

Well my phone will work somewhat by the shop b4 data kicks in, but my phone doesn't have a antenna sticking out of it. 

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've been looking at the lorex full wireless, but I've read that the 4month battery life is based on only 2-4 events a day.  I've got more turkeys and deer walking around. I'd be swapping out batteries ever month at the longest.  Hell, just me coming and going well be more than enough to zap the batteries. 

Where did you hear that?

Good to know, in a remote area as wellwith good bit of deer moseying on through.

6 minutes ago, jmark said:

That Night Owl system has some pretty bad reviews.  

Anyone have any experience with the system that Harbor Freight sells?

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-channel-surveillance-dvr-with-4-hd-cameras-and-mobile-monitoring-capabilities-63890.html

Ya, I've taken the night owl off my list. The lorex wireless (not full wireless) IR system is looking good, but it's a lot more $. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. 

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

Where did you hear that?

Good to know, in a remote area as wellwith good bit of deer moseying on through.

I either seen it on the lorex sight, or when I called them for more info the tech said so. I've looked at so many systems my head hurts.  

One tip a lot of people don't know about: 

Regardless of the system you choose, to boost visibility you will want to install infrared floodlights. The difference is huge.

Nothing worse than opening the wallet and installing a system just to have a night mode that leaves a lot unseen. Results with an IR boost from a flood light will be worth the extra up front cost and God forbid you ever need to review footage you'll be thankful you don't have a grainy mess. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jmark said:

That Night Owl system has some pretty bad reviews.  

Anyone have any experience with the system that Harbor Freight sells?

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-channel-surveillance-dvr-with-4-hd-cameras-and-mobile-monitoring-capabilities-63890.html

Just looked at the HF.  I'd be cautious.  No mention if 720p or 1080p.  I wouldn't go with anything less than 1080.  I want to read the plate# or see face clearly at a longer range. 

1 minute ago, XGX7PM said:

One tip a lot of people don't know about: 

Regardless of the system you choose, to boost visibility you will want to install infrared floodlights. The difference is huge.

Nothing worse than opening the wallet and installing a system just to have a night mode that leaves a lot unseen. Results with an IR boost from a flood light will be worth the extra up front cost and God forbid you ever need to review footage you'll be thankful you don't have a grainy mess. 

Thanks.. that makes a lot of sense.  Great tip.  

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Just looked at the HF.  I'd be cautious.  No mention if 720p or 1080p.  I wouldn't go with anything less than 1080.  I want to read the plate# or see face clearly at a longer range. 

If you open the quickstart manual, it says this: 

• Camera Recording Resolution will be set to 1920 x 1080, FPS will be 15, and Bitrate will be 4096

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

I either seen it on the lorex sight, or when I called them for more info the tech said so. I've looked at so many systems my head hurts.  

Ok thanks.

here is the Blink system I use, great way of saving footage.  The footage is decent, if you want to catch a license plate, not good.  To catch a face, or what not, its again, decent...link below 

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Home-Security-Detection-Included/dp/B071YPNMN1

i use these indoors, facing outside, good video quality, great motion alerts, however you need micro SD cards, and can be confusing to save footage without having an NVR. 

Also, no night footage if pointed outdoors through glass, screws up the IR through glass.  Link below

https://amcrest.com/amcrest-ultrahd-2k-wifi-video-security-ip-camera-pt-black.html

Not happy with either, but enough at the moment to know whats up when not around...

Edited by Bionic

16 minutes ago, mowin said:

Well my phone will work somewhat by the shop b4 data kicks in, but my phone doesn't have a antenna sticking out of it. 

You may need a Router booster to get wifi out side of your house with a good single at 75 feet  that's pushing it .

Edited by Storm914

10 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You may need a Router booster to get wifi out of your house with a good single at 75 feet  that's pushing it 

The lorex claim line of sight of 500' plus.   They do offer a signal booster for there system. 

Edited by mowin

Just now, mowin said:

Thanks.. that makes a lot of sense.  Great tip.  

Youre welcome. ł didnt reccomend a IR unit for the same reason ł won't weigh in on system choice. There are a lot of variables unique to any given setup that make it hard to offer advice without walking the area to have a better understanding of challenges and needs.

Read reviews and make sure there's a good warranty. If going wireless understand that just like someone can get on your Wi-Fi with a little know how the same will then apply to your security system which is troubling.

Burying conduit and running cable shouldn't be that far off in price compared to installing WiFi repeaters and adds a layer of security in my opinion.

Understand ł am not a security expert, just have installed a few systems in home/business and learned the hard way that night mode without an IR boost is practically useless.

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've been looking at the blink.  But the low temp rating isn't good. These have to be outside.  Not sure if temps go lower if it just stops working, or if it damages the camera. 

Blink xt says it is good down to -4  but if you got walls to go through and then the 75 feet from your wifi probably not going to reach with out a booster device. 

5 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

Youre welcome. ł didnt reccomend a IR unit for the same reason ł won't weigh in on system choice. There are a lot of variables unique to any given setup that make it hard to offer advice without walking the area to have a better understanding of challenges and needs.

Read reviews and make sure there's a good warranty. If going wireless understand that just like someone can get on your Wi-Fi with a little know how the same will then apply to your security system which is troubling.

Burying conduit and running cable shouldn't be that far off in price compared to installing WiFi repeaters and adds a layer of security in my opinion.

Understand ł am not a security expert, just have installed a few systems in home/business and learned the hard way that night mode without an IR boost is practically useless.

I've thought about burying the wire in conduit.  I might go a wired systems and just put the house cams out for now, then in the spring run the cables to the shop.  I'd do it now, but I've got some drainage issues, and those will be addressed this spring. 

11 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Trouble is what is it when you have to go through a few walls . Something you have to experiment with to find out . 

Agreed.  My router and base unit would be only one wall and 75' away.  There would be one maple tree in the way which in the summer would cut the signal some.. how much I don't know.  Was hoping someone had a similar system could provide some insight on the wireless range. 

Edited by mowin

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

Agreed.  My router and base unit would be only one wall and 75' away.  There would be one maple tree in the way which in the summer would cut the signal some.. how much I don't know.  Was hoping someone had a similar system could provide some insight on the wireless range. 

All I know is ever use free wifi from someplace hotel restaurant Exedra as soon as you get out the door a few feet away the single sucks right away  and they probably have a better Router then the cable companies provide for residential homes unless you buy your own  .

Since we've bought the place in Sept, I've caught 4 different vehicles on my deer cams coming up to the shop.  I've personal stopped two, and they "claimed" to have taken a wrong turn.  Ummm,. It's a driveway, not a road.  Doesn't even look like a road.  

We've got a shared driveway.  Wife and I own the whole drive. However, 150' of the drive is shared by the neighbors who have a right of way. Our place is beyond their house.  Now she started renting it out as a air b&b.  We've since added several posted and no admittance signs where there drive cuts off.  Last week I had several people walking around my shop as if it's there own.  I told them it private property.  They didn't care at first until I said I'm calling the state troopers.  They left then. Lol.  I've since talk to the owner, and she said she would let future renters know the boundaries. But it continues to happen.  I might have to start shooting a few hundred rounds of various calibers around 8am in the mornings.   That might result in some negative reviews which would make the owner try harder, but I really don't want to be a asshat neighbor..