QDMA's 2019 Conservation Seed Program

Below is the text of an email I received today from QDMA:

Happy new year, and I hope 2019 is starting off well for you. I’m writing to let you know about an exciting opportunity QDMA is providing to our members. We are pleased to offer a Conservation Seed Program to help get viable seed planted across the landscape to benefit whitetails, other wildlife species, and your hunting this fall. Through a national program we’re able to acquire out-of-date seed and provide it to you at extremely reduced prices. The germination rate will likely be less than 100 percent, but still very good relative to cost of the seed. It’s important to note the seed can’t be sold for profit, traded or bartered, it has to remain standing for wildlife use, and it can’t be fed directly to livestock or wildlife. QDMA piloted this program in Spring 2018 with excellent results.

QDMA members can order corn, sorghum, soybeans and/or wheat. The corn is 90-110 day varieties and is not glyphosate resistant. The soybeans are group 1 beans and are glyphosate resistant. All species are $9 per 50 lbs. bag. To order, please complete this order form and email it to your QDMA Regional Director.

We can only obtain this seed in bulk (400-800 bags per order), so it may not be available in all locations. All orders must be placed by January 23, and we will know at that time where we have enough orders to schedule delivery of the seed. Our Regional Directors will contact everyone who placed an order to confirm whether the seed will be delivered or whether there was not enough interest to reach the minimum order.  Seed orders are typically delivered in March, and seed will be delivered to a central location for your area. Your Regional Director will contact you with the delivery date and location to pick up your seed. Non-QDMA members can take advantage of this opportunity by joining QDMA. Have a good day, and here’s to a great 2019.

Respectfully, 

Kip Adams
Director of Conservation
[email protected]

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, goosifer said:

So are any of these a good deal? I wish they would say how many pounds to plant per acre. How would you plant the corn? I've seen the "wheel" style planter, but no way is that useful for a large area. Can any of these be broadcast planted?

Can broadcast them all. , soybeans in my opinion need a large acreage to even stand a chance with high deer population. And needs to be inoculated and disked in Corn I prefer to drill as it uses less fert rate depend on plates and row width.  If broadcasting 2 bushel an acre or about 50 lbs..needs to be risked in and in to 1.5 in deep.  

Wheat broadcast on a fine prepared bed . 2 bushel an acre..

• Thanks 1

Its a good deal. I bought a few bags of the soybeans last year, but they got wiped out where i planted them, which i was expecting to happen.. I Will probably buy them again this year. Depending if i can get access to a field that is rarely used I may try the corn and Sorghum too. Cant beat the price. I believe the local QDMA branches will have access to these so you wont have to pre order. Unless things are done differently this year.

As for corn plantings, I used to run a disk and angle it some so it would cut deeper rows, or drag a harrow so there were "channels" through the soil.. Broadcast seed, which should mostly fall into these rows,  then lightly drag tires over the top. The higher soil will fall down into the deeper spots and should cover seed well. And now you also have mini corn rows. Corn i like under the soil for root strength in windy conditions and it can help the birds from pulling seeds as easy.. 

As for soybeans, You can do the same, but you can also leave them on top of the soil and press them into the soil with a roller before good rain.  Ive pressed them right through the green lawn before and had great success doing so. Spraying gly the same day as well.. 

As it looks right now it will only be a soybean option in NY. The individual local branches will be putting together an estimate on how many bags we want. We then have to look at 1/2 and full tractor trailer loads. I will be sending out an email to our email list for the counties that we cover. Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Monroe and Livingston. You must be a QDMA member to purchase the seeds in this program. Easiest thing it to get a membership online but a $35 membership fee may be an option some branches may use. 

You will also need to purchase inoculant for the beans. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

9 hours ago, goosifer said:

Below is the text of an email I received today from QDMA:

Happy new year, and I hope 2019 is starting off well for you. I’m writing to let you know about an exciting opportunity QDMA is providing to our members. We are pleased to offer a Conservation Seed Program to help get viable seed planted across the landscape to benefit whitetails, other wildlife species, and your hunting this fall. Through a national program we’re able to acquire out-of-date seed and provide it to you at extremely reduced prices. The germination rate will likely be less than 100 percent, but still very good relative to cost of the seed. It’s important to note the seed can’t be sold for profit, traded or bartered, it has to remain standing for wildlife use, and it can’t be fed directly to livestock or wildlife. QDMA piloted this program in Spring 2018 with excellent results.

QDMA members can order corn, sorghum, soybeans and/or wheat. The corn is 90-110 day varieties and is not glyphosate resistant. The soybeans are group 1 beans and are glyphosate resistant. All species are $9 per 50 lbs. bag. To order, please complete this order form and email it to your QDMA Regional Director.

We can only obtain this seed in bulk (400-800 bags per order), so it may not be available in all locations. All orders must be placed by January 23, and we will know at that time where we have enough orders to schedule delivery of the seed. Our Regional Directors will contact everyone who placed an order to confirm whether the seed will be delivered or whether there was not enough interest to reach the minimum order.  Seed orders are typically delivered in March, and seed will be delivered to a central location for your area. Your Regional Director will contact you with the delivery date and location to pick up your seed. Non-QDMA members can take advantage of this opportunity by joining QDMA. Have a good day, and here’s to a great 2019.

Respectfully, 

Kip Adams
Director of Conservation
[email protected]

Were you or are you a volunteer or officer for a branch? I didn't think that went out to the general email listing. 

43 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Were you or are you a volunteer or officer for a branch? I didn't think that went out to the general email listing. 

Noooooo. Given they need to hit minimum quantities to obtain the seeds, I don't think they'd want to limit it. Unless it's not being offered in all parts of the state? It could also be a way for them to get people to sign up, so they have access to the seeds. Hope I didn't do a bad thing by posting this.

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

Noooooo. Given they need to hit minimum quantities to obtain the seeds, I don't think they'd want to limit it. Unless it's not being offered in all parts of the state? It could also be a way for them to get people to sign up, so they have access to the seeds. Hope I didn't do a bad thing by posting this.

Not an issue at all. I was just curious becasue I sure know the Regional Director is not going to want all those order forms hitting his mail....LOL.

It's a great deal. The Round up ready soybean is usually about $80-100 a bag depending.  We took a full load in NY last year and I could have turned more over in our counties. if anyone wants in I would go to QDMA website  https://www.qdma.com/new-york/  Look for a branch nearest you and contact the person listed for the branch. anyone in Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Monroe or Livingston Counties can go though me. I will have a post up tomorrow under our sub forum here with all the information. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

link  for order form is http://support.qdma.com/site/R?i=ocsuBcTGeNSHKptgh-ckxA

Mike Edwards is the regional director for NY. His email is [email protected]

you DO NOT order through him. I know what it says but I strongly suggest reaching out to a branch near you. It's gonna tun into a cluster is everyone send it to the RD

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I believe the local QDMA branches will have access to these so you wont have to pre order. Unless things are done differently this year.

I know there are some branches that are saying "we'll just take a pallet" but others like ours had so many that wanted more than the 2 bags per that we figured. That is why this year I am pre-ordering for our branch. Personally I don't see the want to get a half load of or load of the sorghum or wheat. Since the corn is NOT roundup ready and our local NWTF branch distributes RR corn I don't want to develop a conflict there.  So we are sticking with soybean and it will be pre-order so we can really try to get the member the quantities they want. 

• Like 1

For got about the NWTF supply. Totally agree Bob. I was just thinking of trying some big grain mix for late season this year. trying to offer better options to the deer than my neighbors do. And for the price you cant beat that.  

Last years beans (that i protected) Never fully matured, I couldnt believe it) Planted early June. Not sure what bean group was used. But with these being group 1, im all on board.. 

19 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

For got about the NWTF supply. Totally agree Bob. I was just thinking of trying some big grain mix for late season this year. trying to offer better options to the deer than my neighbors do. And for the price you cant beat that.  

Last years beans (that i protected) Never fully matured, I couldnt believe it) Planted early June. Not sure what bean group was used. But with these being group 1, im all on board.. 

The last ones were from Canada and should have fared well. I really want them so guys can get them in earlier that that. 

Soybeans were delivered late last year , nwtf does do corn thru local chapters.   I ask if you buy this habitat seed ( which all use to be free) you plant it and actually leave it for the game ..its not for trading to a farmer for right to hunt there . That happens quite a bit I am afraid. And main reason. Why nwtf decided to charge... it wasnt the shipping cost that is covered by Superfund monies.  

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Not an issue at all. I was just curious becasue I sure know the Regional Director is not going to want all those order forms hitting his mail....LOL.

It's a great deal. The Round up ready soybean is usually about $80-100 a bag depending.  We took a full load in NY last year and I could have turned more over in our counties. if anyone wants in I would go to QDMA website  https://www.qdma.com/new-york/  Look for a branch nearest you and contact the person listed for the branch. anyone in Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Monroe or Livingston Counties can go though me. I will have a post up tomorrow under our sub forum here with all the information. 

I see. Yes, it would make more sense to submit the order forms to the nearest branch than the regional director. It's almost like the email was written to go to branch contacts and not the general members.

• Like 2