holy veggies batman

bubba

I planted a graden this spring.  first one in a few years.  It has exploded.  cucumbers are coming by the 5 gallon pail a week at least,, onions are going well and tomatoes are much faster than I can eat.  Looks like some canning this weekend.

Congrats Bubba...same here.... I was up until 1:30 last night putting up another 12 quarts of beans on top of the first eight....and dragging out every zucchini recipe I can find....today I freeze swisschard and collard greens....peppers are coming great and the eggplant are not producing as well but did pick a big one yesterday...the corn has a lot of young ears...and 38 tomato plants just loaded...no ripe ones right now...peas finally stopped producing...I will be freezing  cabbage and making a lot of sauerkraut this fall  the cabbage is growing like made....

burt ...while I'm thinking on it...a couple of tips....make sure you have a great PH...especially with tomatoes...or you could end up with blossom end rot....I also  used concrete reinforcement mesh. in the garden this year ...WoW love it....I simply stked the panels up and wove the tomato plants through the squase as they grow...no tying...and perfact for the pole beans....for our peas I staked one side in 3 places and then made an arch and staked down the other side...planted the peas along both sides....never had so many peas before...think I have early pics.....I also soak news paper and place thick layers around plants and lay manure and orgrass clippings on top...then let the plants grow over that....helps in dry spells....fertilizes...and the manure seems to help keep some critters like the nasty voles we have away and most important....stops weeds in those areas :)

Grow - never thought about the concrete mesh - great idea! Any chance of a closer shot on the peas?

I stake anything that will climb - just plan easier and utilizes space far better.

Late start this year after a 10 year break.

Burt - my advice to you would be to start prepping the area this year. You could tarp it to kill the weeds - better would be to do the newspaper trick covered by some older manure from a neighbors pile. I have several neighbors with a few horses - always looking for someone to haul it away. You would have a great jump on next year. And lastly - 2 hills of zucchini will give you the chance to meet every neighbor.

• 2 weeks later...