Smoked Salmon

I've had some pretty fishy tasting salmon from Ontario, so I'm always leery, but I can't be happier with how this turned out. I've never had my wife react quite the way she did to any wild game. Simply no fish taste at all and turned out great. Highly recommend for any trout or salmon. It's not really a lot of work either, just takes time to smoke. Shared with the neighbors and they also agreed. Heck even my picky kids devoured it. Vac sealed and froze the rest and hoping that they taste just as good down the road.

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

006.thumb.JPG.fd6d5c00da1d530efdd172651d79ac41.JPG001.thumb.JPG.49ccd10b525a1aa2d619d3344878791a.JPG002.thumb.JPG.cc7e991ee46a345ae33ff8295ac61c40.JPG003.thumb.JPG.42e547bbe442cc87afa04fba2861f75c.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Looks great. I didn't read the recipe yet but did you brine it? 

I did. It tasted good and not salty. However I'm not sure it brined long enough as the recipe gives some pretty wide ranges. I also had some pieces dry better than others. Had more albumin than I would have liked.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I did. It tasted good and not salty. However I'm not sure it brined long enough as the recipe gives some pretty wide ranges. I also had some pieces dry better than others. Had more albumin than I would have liked.

I'd bet an electric smoker would be the ticket. Able to set it nice and low. I added an additional valve to my propane smoker and in the summer it is really hard to get it below 200

my fishing buddy made some last fall and it came out great - brined it and then smoked in electric smoker and did a little light maple flavor to it.  Was excellent.   Im going to put some trout in to try soon and make Turkeyfeathers smoked trout dip he has posted a few times.   Looks like a great batch.  I also dont care for Ontario salmon unless its smoked .  

18 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'd bet an electric smoker would be the ticket. Able to set it nice and low. I added an additional valve to my propane smoker and in the summer it is really hard to get it below 200

mine is electric and it took about 45 minutes to get up to 150. And I held it between there and 175.  Again it came out absolutely amazing. Just seemed to bleed more and not dry as well as the recipe and other videos indicate it should. But in the end if it tastes great and even your kids are scarfing it down, I guess it shouldn't matter right?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

my fishing buddy made some last fall and it came out great - brined it and then smoked in electric smoker and did a little light maple flavor to it.  Was excellent.   Im going to put some trout in to try soon and make Turkeyfeathers smoked trout dip he has posted a few times.   Looks like a great batch.  I also dont care for Ontario salmon unless its smoked .  

I would recommend any trout or salmon angler try the above recipe. Honestly the hardest part is filleting the fish. After that, you mix up a quick brine and let her soak. Let them dry and then smoke. It's time consuming, but mostly a sit around and wait approach. Which for me just meant cleaning the pool, mowing the lawn, doing things around the house while they smoked.