Happy Buck Moon!

grampy

Tonight's full moon is called 'The Buck Moon'. Historically, Native American, and other traditional names were used to track the seasons. At this time the bucks antlers are in full growth mode. Hence the name 'Buck Moon'. This full moon has also been called the 'Thunder Moon' because thunderstorms are so frequent during this month. Being part Native American myself, I like to follow along with some of the"old ways" and names.

I use 'The Buck Moon' as a time to really start ramping up my deer hunting preparations. Shooting and practicing more with various hunting implements, to be sure they will be accurate and flawless when needed. Brush hogging, preparing fall plots, moving stands or building new natural ground blinds, putting out trail cams, coming up with a fresh new strategy or set up, and so many other little things to get ready. We are only a little over 10 weeks away from the start of bow season! And the long offseason will be over!!!

What are some of the deer hunting preparations you will be doing during the time of 'The Buck Moon'? 

• Like 4

have two treestands to move.  One just moving it about 10 yards for a better shot window.  The other moving to other side of property and will be a whole new setup.   Have to do some clearing and cutting (have to get chainsaw working again first!) .  Then cams out first weekend of August.  BUt all that holds off til it is under 90 degrees!  Prob a lot of that work will be done in Sept .  But out of 13 stands not too bad of shape to be ready 

• Like 2

10 weeks!? I was out this past weekend doing a little scouting and setting cameras, checking stands, etc. It was hard to see tracks with the dirt being so hard from this drought. I'll check the cams in a few weeks to see what's moving and may move the stands based on that. While I was walking I snuck up on a couple of fawns playing in the field. They walked to within about 30 yards of me. Cute little buggers. I'll probably start shooting next month when it cools off a little.

Resized_PhotoEditor_20190716_092123324.jpeg

Edited by Bolt action
  • Like 2