Senior archers over 55 year old

sweet old bill

As being one of the old fart I like to know what you are shgooting and your bow setup

I am 68 year old and  am  shooting

1. Hoyt peak weight 58 lbs 29 inch draw, carbon easton 400 arrows with 2 inch BH vaanes, 100 gr point, c-10 Winn release,loop, single F/O pin slider sight, 1/4 inch peep and kisser.

2. Parker Buckhunter XP set at 56 lbs , 3 pin sight, Bemen 400 carbon arrows 2 inch BH vanes, 100 gr points, loop, peep, and kisser.

3. Checkmate recurve 56 inch and 50 lbs at 28 inch and actual draw is 28 1/2 inch. I use

Easton 1916 alum shaft with 125 gr points, and a tab.

Bill, you've got me by almost 2 years but I guess I still qualify for the geezer group. I have  a Mathews MQ-32 that is getting quite a bit of age on it now but still shoots great and kills deer. The draw weight has been bouncing around between 60# and 55# depending on what is aching at the time ....lol.

Arrows are easton Autumn orange XX75 of about 1980 vintage or some such date. Maybe they even go back to the late 70's I'm not sure. I also occasionally use some old gamegetters too for target practice.

I've got a wall full of recurves and compounds that I don't shoot anymore. I've got one old pro-line that is set at about 75 pounds. That was for a moose hunt that I went on years ago. I haven't pulled that critter back in years.

Doc

I will be 69 in September .

I have a Parker Phoenix EZ-Draw set at 70#  and a Ben Pearson TX-4 set at about 62# . I am shooting 430 grain arrows (Arrow Dynamic Big Game Hunters) with a 28" draw . I put a Trophy Ridge drop Zone on the Pearson and a DMI rest on the Parker (G5 makes it now) .

DMI rest

You guys are a few years older than me, I feel like the youngster in the group...Ha!

I shoot an older Bowtech, set at 65 lb. and shoot Easton Superslams, and it is tipped with the 150 grain Magnus (formerly Rothhaar) Snuffer. (I still have some 145 grain screw in practice points to practice with.) I still prefer feathers to vanes, the last holdover to my recurve and long bow days. I didn't start shooting a compound bow until 1996. Had to switch from right-handed long bow 70lb. custom chinese bamboo Howard Hill,  to left-handed compound. (Bad shoulder.) Killed my first antlered buck in 1971 with a 50 lb. Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve, wooden shaft, and Bear razorhead.

So what's the story ...... Did everybody have a 50# Bear Kodiak recurve? I had one of those too, and it seems as though everytime I hear anybody talking about recurves, that's the one that they mention they had (or have). I finally spotted a fairly bad split in my upper limb and had to toss mine. I thought I was going to cry. I never had a bow that I had gotten so completely attached to.

Doc

Yeah, right Doc. It was a big deal back then for me to save up my dollars and buy one. Man was I proud of that thing!

My old Bear is "losing glass" as we used to say. But I still have it. I think it would be dangerous to string and draw back. I tried that with my Uncle Jim's long bow (he bowhunted in the 1950s)  about 20 years ago...and it shattered in a million pieces. All I had left in my hand was the leather-covered grip and probably one of the dumber looks on my face of the many that I have had.

That was the first "quality" recurve that I ever bought. It broke my heart to see that split in the glass. I put a bi strip of tape on it that said "broken limb - do not use", and put it down at the road for trash pick-up. That just didn't seem like a fitting end to a bow that had served me so well.

Doc