Bow issue.

Forest Hunter

I have the Martin Saber bow. I am not sure what is happening, my fletchings on my arrows are all ripping for some reason. I have a hunch that they could be hitting the sight because it is very low but before the arrows would shoot fine. I have the octane hostage rest and the sight is very low. I shoot cock fletch up arrow and that is the fletchings that is being teared. I am down to one arrow and I am pretty upset. Could it be my rest or my sight?

Thanks if you can help any.

Forest Hunter

Throw out rest replace with wiskerbisqit enjoy killing deer. ;D Problem solved. seriously if you are deer hunting only rest you should have on there is a WB. If you are a bow pro then go with a drop away if you want but the rest of us Bowtards should just use aWB. Read nothing but bad reviews about the Octane, JMO.

Thanks a bunch. I shoot straight durvanes and i measured that they are about half an inch high and when i am at full draw there is clearance from the bottom of my sight to the cock fletch up. So i ruled that it hitting the bottom of the sight out. since they re staright and it seems like that the octane hostage rest can only shoot out a cock fletch up arrow. I checked the nocks and they all seem pretty spot on. so im narrowing it down to the rest. Im gonna take wiskerbiscuit since it seems like the most practical one. It can take any arrow fletch which is pretty darn convineant. The octane rest whiskers are pretty rough and stiff so thats my best guess with the arrows.

Thanks

Forest Hunter

Throw out rest replace with wiskerbisqit enjoy killing deer. ;D Problem solved. seriously if you are deer hunting only rest you should have on there is a WB. If you are a bow pro then go with a drop away if you want but the rest of us Bowtards should just use aWB. Read nothing but bad reviews about the Octane, JMO.

Yeah Okay then.

Take a piece of chalk and rub it on the bottom of your rest. After you shoot a couple arrows look at the chalk mark and see if it has rubbed off.  If it has then that is where your vane is hitting.  I think what you are experiencing is your knock height is off and to compensate you have lowered your sight to get on target.  Like WNY said get a bow square and a pair of knocking pliers and a new knock and realign it then move your sight up if that is what is going on.  If your not comfy doing it take it to a pro shop.  Its a very simple thing to do yourself with limited knowledge and the right tools.

Wow never thought of the chalk. I'm gonna try that and when I put the arrow on the rest it angles downward to the ground. Not much but it is noticable. When I go to full draw it is very straight. I'm not sure if the mock should have the arrow straight at all times or not. I mean my arrows I shot before would work fine but I got new ones with 4 inch straight vanes instead of 3 and they all ripped for some reason. I don't think they are hitting the sight because I measured one of the fletches to be 3/4 an inch high. The 3 inch and 4 inch vanes are both 3/4 an inch. I think it is either my nock or my sight.

If you cant get the chalk to stick whiteout works well also.  I have used whitout on my vanes and look for where it transfers on the bow to find out whats going on.  All neat little tricks to get you back on track.  IM not familiar with that rest but if at all possible rotate your knock to get the cock feather in a different plane on the bow.  I shoot with cock vane down but have a different rest than you.