Do you hunt you rut stands with a marginal wind?

biggamefish

Just a question to see what everyone else is doing. With the deer in the seek phase do you hunt the GOOD spots with only a good wind or will you go in with a marginal one. When I hunted state land I didnt pay to much attention because the deer came from ever which direction. No patterns at all. I do watch the wind if it is a trail/funnel etc. and try to hunt only a good wind.

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

No so sure it is really the "seek phase" ...Moog had a buck breeding a doe right in front of him yesterday. Sounds like some at least are actually breeding. 

That's out west I am far east. Deer are still just cruising. Saw a bunch of does in the fields this morning and not one buck in the fields or bothering them. Bunch of different groups too. 

Its amazing to hear what's going on out that way and see how much father behind we are this year. I am guessing a week or so.

7 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

That's out west I am far east. Deer are still just cruising. Saw a bunch of does in the fields this morning and not one buck in the fields or bothering them. Bunch of different groups too. 

Its amazing to hear what's going on out that way and see how much father behind we are this year. I am guessing a week or so.

I dont think geography affects it that much at least across NY . I think it's all dependent on the does cycle and some start a tad earlier than other does. not saying that geography doesn't play into effect for example NY vs Georgia you would clearly see a difference. Just my opinion though 

1 hour ago, biggamefish said:

Closer to two weeks behind here, from what I observed from hunting both West and East over the last couple weeks. Kinda crazy. But even locally, there can be and is a distinct difference even just miles away from what one hunter and another observes.

To your wind question Matt, I try to hunt the best wind possible ANY time I set up. Especially from the ground. That being said, the buck I shot on Sunday, came to within five feet, from directly behind me, and downwind! 

• Like 1