Getting a new scope, thinking of the Redfield 3-9x50mm

I purchased a new Redfield for my inline last fall, and was very dissatisfied. Clarity was not up to what I expected, the crosshair adjustments were not as definitive as the Leupolds I own, and it was not as precise in adjustment as I am used to. I recently returned it to Cabelas and for the same (actually less) money bought a Nikon Prostaff. Last year I sighted in two friends rifles with these scopes and was very impressed. The 2-7 I mounted also was great. Better clarity, adjustments tight and precise, Regardless of the Redfields being made by Leupold, they are not Leupold quality in my opinion.

Hey, thats what I was thinking about the 50, higher rings, not much benefit..I like mine as low as possible, but that is just me.

I love Leupold. Geat scopes, a little pricey...I have a Burris Fullfield 2 on my muzzleloader. I bought it to save a little money, and am glad I did. Very nice scope. You might want to try one, although I do not know what they are going for now, I think I got mine for around 200-250...

Anyway, if you buy the Redfield, keep us posted on how you like it.

I agree with the previous posters regarding the 50 MM objective.

If you plan to hunt at night, it might make a difference, but given quality optics, the large objective is of no real benefit during normal hunting hours and just adds extra bulk and the need for higher rings.

My largest objective diameter on any of my scopes is 36 MM, and I have looked through them when it was WAAAY to dark to shoot big game legally, and was surprised at how well I could still see. You might be amazed at the light transmission of a Leupold 4X 33 fixed power.

Years ago the Redfield scopes were considered excellent quality, but I have had no experience with the newer ones. I do have a Burris Fullfield on one of my rifles, a 2x7,and it has been an excellent scope.