Trailcamera question

Bowhunter123

How long can you stand the suspense ..... lol. Last year was my first year with cameras, and I was checking them almost every day. It didn't seem to bother anything since there were new pictures every day.

But ..... I've backed off a lot this year to checking them once each week. Some guys spread it out to once a month. I've got to believe that too much attention probably spreads too much unwanted scent at the locations you are trying to watch. Some of the more mature and cautious deer may begin to shift patterns. That's just a theory, and so far this year, backing off the visiting frequency has made absolutely no difference, but it just seems to make sense to limit the visits a bit.

If you are trying to scout and hunt bucks 2.5 or older I highly recommend you resist the temptation of going more than every other week. Not every deer will be spooked by your presence but be sure you will impact the deers habits and potentially make them go nocturnal fast. You will bump deer, you will leave scent and there is now doubt that will impact your hunting. Cams are an awesome tool in the bag but you need to treat them like you are hunting, don't over pressure or be careless about scent etc. Most guys are jealous of the guys getting pics of big bucks, if your not getting pics of big mature deer it doesn't mean they aren't there it most likely means they have you figured out and they know how to avoid situations they are skeptical about. I have seen it first hand multiple times where a mature doe approaching a cam location stops 50 yards out stares in the direction and makes a big loop to avoid the cam location so if she does that think of what a smart old buck will do. If it is a cam in your backyard or not a hunting spot I would say once a week won't hurt a thing.

• Like 1

I like to avoid the temptation and stay away for 2-3 weeks at the least. I did come across a new product the guys at wild game innovations came out with. It is a wifi module that works with compatible cams that allows you to retrieve your photos and vid clips from up to 300' away. A good way to check cameras with out "contaminating" your hunting area.

http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/yn1.html I have no personal experience with this but like the idea.

depends on where you have it looking out in a food plot? maybe once a week. a secrect trail in thick stuff..1 a month or less. depends on how much trafic the area sees.. i try to keep mine in high human traffic areas and if i get 1 pic of a good buck i know hes in the area. i pull all my camears a week or two before the season to let stuff calm down.

If you are trying to scout and hunt bucks 2.5 or older I highly recommend you resist the temptation of going more than every other week. You will bump deer, you will leave scent and there is now doubt that will impact your hunting.

Yep, a lot of guys think only about leaving scent behind but don't realize that your live presence while visiting these sets doesn't go unnoticed. Even when you didn't see an animal that you bumbed, the reality is that they often see and hear you coming and flee long before you get there.

I see a noticeable difference with the amount of animal activity I get even with cams placed for getting wildlife other than deer when I visit the sites regularly The other critters like ducks and herons also get wary when you visit too much. Unfortunately this has been the year of high water and I have had to visit my creek sites a lot more often than I would like to in an effort to keep these sets above water.

All animlas pick up on your trips to your sets, all the while you are rarely aware of them noticing your presence.