New Member- Queens, New York

wuggzwest

New to the site. My girlfriend and I are Looking to hunt Suffolk and Upstate, I don't own any land or know anyone who does. Maybe someone can point us in the right direction. Always looking for people to hunt with for sure. Iv done all of my hunting out of state but looking to give NY another shot. Thanks for the help - Mike

Welcome Muggzwest, first go out to DEC office in Stony Brook with your hunting lic. You'll get parking permit, map and personal ID to hunt out east. Don't forget it opens Oct 1 out there. You'll have to have reservations and check in at Ridge during Nov., but they'll explain it to you. I would call the Region 1 office first because I have not hunted out there for several years. There are alot of guys who still hunt there who can give you fresh info. Make sure you are tick proof and check yourself after hunting. As for upstate look in the regulation book you get when you buy your license. There is plenty of state land. I also recommend joining a club with land to hunt on. Best thing you can do short of buying your own. Good luck and safe hunting.

Hey muggzwest, I do not think alot guys gonna give their hunting spots up, as almost impossible to come by on long island. I grew in queens and live in bellmore now. I guess you wanted to hunt deer. But here are some general ideas.

1. Hire a guide , on long island I would recommend DC Outdoor Adventures, you can google for his info , Dennis is a great guy, and hunts upstate and long island.

2. Google dec ny website and search long island hunting. or whatever county upstate you like

3. Google rod and gun clubs in suffolk county or upstate, in suffolk there are a few, birds unlimited, and pheasant run, to name a few, but again you can research online.

You can also drive long island and knock on doors, but expect to hear alot of the same, NO, NO.

good Luck,

www.bellmorekennels.com

welcome aboard... your best bet is to check with DEC if you new to the area and if you get time i would study some aerials of potential properties check them out for yourself and get the permission you need to hunt that land if its private or check out state land spots...

• 2 weeks later...

There are a ton of clubs, just google around, hopefully someone on here can point you in the right direction. However, you should let people know how far you are willing to travel. The thing about most hunting clubs, at least the smaller ones, they do not have a web site and somewhat secretive. At least the ones I've herd of in the past, you need to be in the click or be a family member to join or be "sponsored" to join.

Don't rule out state land, there is a lot out there to hunt.

Couldn't find much on google or yahoo. I'm in Queens right by the throgs neck bridge so I'd be willing to drive anywhere between 2-3 hours away. I totally understand most clubs are discrete and mostly through referrals but if anyone is interested in recruiting, Id greatly appreciate it much. Thanks again

Wuggzwest, here is some info that might help,http://www.ocfsc.org/site/lev/MEMBER-CLUBS.htm, from there you will have to either google each club and call on telephone, email or write to them, it took me alot of work to get that info and finally contact them, but I am a member of couple clubs now, and worth the work and time. Truthfully though you may be too late for this season, as most clubs have already reached their membrship limits, but you never know, give a try. Plus some clubs gear towards birds other towards big game , you will have to research

bellmorekennels