Being Put On The Spot!

Cabin Fever

Don't ya' hate being put on the spot when someone proudly wants to show off their new mount..... and you think it looks terrible??? :fie: Whether it be the unnatural pose, facial expression, uneven eyes/ears/mouth, hide looks rough, etc... I hate being put on the spot like that and would never say anything negative about it, but YIKES!! Sometimes after seeing mounts like that, I think how pissed I would be if my trophy, that I was so proud of, ended up looking like that and there was no going back!!

This is where a good taxidermist shines!

just doesnt make sense when people try to save $200 on a deer head mount or slightly more on a full body mount of a Mt. Lion, etc. You should be looking for quality of work and not a bargain. You will have the deer head for 30+ years. I look at it like this, so I pay $800 for a deer head, but Its excellent quality and I have it for 30+ years, it comes out like to $25/year! same goes for fish, get a skin and not a repro, and $12/inch or $17/inch insnt a big difference if you want top quality and fish that lasts forever.

I agree with not going for the bargain with taxidermy. Supposed to go on a wolf hunt this Spring and already found a guy to do my skin for me. I would say that I think getting a repro for a fish instead of the real thing is better conservation. You can take pictures, measurements etc and then release it. That way the giants have their genes in the pool still and someone else will get the chance at a trophy. I get though, that sometimes the fish won't make it after the fight. But, I got no problem with a person's choice either way, free country and all.

Well a lot of peoples fist mount looks good to them they got a inexpensive mount done..then they get another from a different taxidermist becasue they have a little more extra cash to spend and the comparison shocks them how bad the 1st one is. This happened to a frind of mine who got a big 9 pt. showed it to me i didn't like it and tried to explain what was wrong with it ...he defended it and he was happy untill he got a big 10 pt that won a contest and got it mounted for free by a good taxidermist...he had plans to hang it next to his other head..untill they were on the wall together..he now hangs them in seperate rooms the free mount by a good taxidermist is in the place of honor in the living room and the paid for 1st mount he got a deal on is in the den... you need to pay for what you get..not saying the top $ charged is the best taxidermist, a lot of big shops charge a lot and they show the master' taxidermists mounts on display but they might have 3-4 more training taxidermists doing your mount...

My first buck that i shot i got mounted by someone who used whiteout for the nose lol. Needless to say that when my farther and i went to pick it up and they asked how it looked my father didnt hold back and told them it looks like crap. He was so unhappy with it that he took it somewhere else and got it remounted for me and it came out awesome the second time around. From then on in i will never use anybody for any taxidermy work again besides the guy who did it the second time. I know a lot of people like to stick to one taxidermist but if anybody ever needs a good taxidermist on LI def check out big buck taxidermy. Here is a link to the website my brother designed for him. He is really a perfectionist when it comes to mounting animals.

http://www.bigbucktaxidermy.com

Edited by mbucks27