New Sig Caliber

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/277-sig-fury-demystified/

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-cross-rifle.html

277 Fury, eh.....  I'm intrigued.  Tough to get behind a new round right out of the gate.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/hunt365-unforgettable-elk-hunt-with-the-sig-cross-rifle-in-277-sig-fury/

Edit : picture from an article in Murrican Hunter.

IMG_20200215_210830.jpg

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 2

MV of 3000 fps from a 16" barrel is impressive, but 80,000 psi requires a rifle specially made to handle it.  A rebarreled deer rifle isn't going to be safe or last very long, so gunsmiths will decline to do it.  Right now the SIG Cross rifle is the only option and at $1600 isn't cheap.

I'll be waiting to see where this goes over a few years time.  If the military adopts it, that will bring the price of the ammo down due to the quantity produced and that may inspire more rifle makers to chamber for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rattler said:

MV of 3000 fps from a 16" barrel is impressive, but 80,000 psi requires a rifle specially made to handle it.  A rebarreled deer rifle isn't going to be safe or last very long, so gunsmiths will decline to do it.  Right now the SIG Cross rifle is the only option and at $1600 isn't cheap.

I'll be waiting to see where this goes over a few years time.  If the military adopts it, that will bring the price of the ammo down due to the quantity produced and that may inspire more rifle makers to chamber for it.

Solid point about the military side of it.  Looking at the cartridges side by side it's basically a 308's big brother.  Keep telling myself I'm getting a new 300 win mag  this year, but now I want to see where this goes!

The 300 WM is a great round, but it seems the rimmed magnums are becoming old school.  Today many magnums don't use rimmed cases.  The new magnums are getting away from rims in rounds like the 300 WSM, 300 PRC, 30 Nosler, etc.  Even the 30 Ackley Improved is gaining popularity again, though not as much as the 280 Ackley improved.  However, the 300 WM is still the least expensive 30 caliber round for the velocity.

Edited by Rattler

Read a little more about this today, I guess Sig has to make a million rounds for the government before the end of the year, so they're having ramp up issues.  Price tag on that rifle is In a weird place.  1700 for a hunting rifle......  Says they guy bought one of sigs other products for ballpark same price.

Interest piqued! I love my 300 WM. One of my Kimbers is chambered for this. I use for long range shooting. Want to take it for elk one day. 

$1600-1700 for that almost evil gun is reasonable I think. 

My long range shooting partner is retired Marine Scout Sniper, he loves the 308 WIN but loads his own to make them hotter. Shoots a Sako. I was looking into a Sako but want to see where this goes first. 

How do the ballistics compare to the 300 WM or 308 WIN? Anybody know?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Interest piqued! I love my 300 WM. One of my Kimbers is chambered for this. I use for long range shooting. Want to take it for elk one day. 

$1600-1700 for that almost evil gun is reasonable I think. 

My long range shooting partner is retired Marine Scout Sniper, he loves the 308 WIN but loads his own to make them hotter. Shoots a Sako. I was looking into a Sako but want to see where this goes first. 

How do the ballistics compare to the 300 WM or 308 WIN? Anybody know?

In that little blurb from American Hunter they're claiming 6 to 9 feet less drop than a creedmore at 1000 yards.  Out of a 16 inch barrel!

I went down the rabbit hole with this yesterday.  Only question left to me is :. How much is that Sig Scope going to run?  There's a good video of an interview at the 2020 shot show :

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...