Fall Sportsmen's Show in East Avon DEC Headquarters

fasteddie

Does anyone attend this in September . They have a lot of activities for kids and adults . It's also like a Flea maket for hunters . It gives you a chance to talk to some of the DEC officers . I have missed it for the past 4 years ........... :-[ .. :'( .. :'(

I go every year, it sucked last year. Noticeably less vendors, I think we were out of there in less than 2 hours.

Heck , that has to be almost in your own back yard . It usually falls on a weekend when other stuff is planned . Anxious to see what the date will be this year .

Nothing to do with hunting but I like to hit the big Flea Market in East Avon about once a year .  8)

Yeah, its about 5 mins from my house. We like to go to the flea market over there once in a while too, havent gone this year yet though, been too busy. The date always falls on the same weekend as the Naples Grape Festival if I remember correctly. This year Im pretty sure the dates will be Sept 25th and 26th.

That's a pretty good event and I try not to miss it each year. The only thing is that it does tend to be repetitive.

Back when I was a member of Avon Bowmen, we used to run a small archery range that provided bows and arrows and  gave some kids their first experiences with archery. I guess they don't do that anymore.

I kind of get a kick out of the buckskinners that set up camp each year. They really get into it and have some pretty authentic gear and activities.

But really, it would be great if they could figure out a way of introducing something new each year for those of us who make it an annual event.

NYB always has a little archery range for the kids. Crosman has had a pellet gun range for a few years now as well.

Yeah, NYB took that over, I suppose because nobody else was doing it. I think those (archery and pellet gun shooting activities) are the best features of the event. How many of those kids might never get chance to shoot those things and spark an interest as a result? Actually the whole thing is great for introducing youngsters into the outdoor sports. The different exhibits and presentations show kids that there is something beyond the latest electronic gadget. And the participation activities are probably the most effective of all.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

I go every year too, even though as stated earlier it is pretty much the same thing every year, usually can find something I want whether I need it or not. Seems to be they are getting more arts and crafts vendors than hunting/fishing/trapping vendors, cant say as that thrills me very much.