Fly Fishing Gear

Moho81

On 3/29/2020 at 10:20 AM, Nytracker said:

Or a 7 '1 wt.

Which rod and do you use a 1wt line? I just bought a 2wt line for my 2wt Red Classic Trout but thinking I should have over lined. 

On 3/29/2020 at 4:35 PM, Nytracker said:

20200329_162415.thumb.jpg.f28eb5512cc97aeed00606ab6e3ee41b.jpg

Amboya burl insert in the reel seat.

Very pretty. 

17 minutes ago, left field said:

Which rod and do you use a 1wt line? I just bought a 2wt line for my 2wt Red Classic Trout but thinking I should have over lined. 

Very pretty. 

Ok so a one wt would underline  your two weight rod . This could make it cast a little faster depending on the rod . Also depending on the rod underlining  the rod could rob enough power it may not turn the line over properly . All rods from the manufacturer  has a recommended line weight . Going up or down  a weight  is common  for some guys . If a guy thinks the rod is to fast ... or they cant feel the rod load they will go up a weight . If the rod feels slow  or over flexes they will under line .  Hope this helps .

Edited by Nytracker

9 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Ok so a one wt would underline  your two weight rod . This could make it cast a little faster depending on the rod . Also depending on the rod underlining  the rod could rob enough power it may not turn the line over properly .

You guys are way beyond me.....I slop around with my 9 foot 5 weight and still manage to catch a few fish....

This is one project that stalled for over a year. Waiting on some rod epoxy and a new dryer20200329_162353.thumb.jpg.f8ae6ddc22f0b7aa35dac33a9d5e840e.jpg
wraps will darken when epoxied. Made the grip myself.  Custom fit for my hands.20200329_162415.thumb.jpg.f28eb5512cc97aeed00606ab6e3ee41b.jpg
Amboya burl insert in the reel seat.
Stalled for a year? That's nothing! I got you beat by 5 whole years. All I Still have to do is epoxy my guides. Been that state for around 6 years now haha. You got a damn fine looking build there!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

You guys are way beyond me.....I slop around with my 9 foot 5 weight and still manage to catch a few fish....

I get it ... what ever floats your boat ... 5 wt is a good weight rod  for most people and general fishing .  I like a one wt for brookies  and small water  . 

Kind of like a guy who has one rifle to hunt deer .... 30/06...  now you could use it for squirrels  but it might not leave alot of meat for the pot .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Stalled for a year? That's nothing! I got you beat by 5 whole years. All I Still have to do is epoxy my guides. Been that state for around 6 years now haha. You got a damn fine looking build there!

It's just time and a place thing . When I finally got things back out  my epoxy was bad and the gears in my drying motor are shot .... should not loan  stuff out . 

Thanks for the compliment  on the build . I have made a dozen or so fly rods . I enjoy doing it . That's the fanciest  grip I have ever made . The cost of the blank makes it kind of nerve wracking to work on . 

• Like 1

It's just time and a place thing . When I finally got things back out  my epoxy was bad and the gears in my drying motor are shot .... should not loan  stuff out . 
Thanks for the compliment  on the build . I have made a dozen or so fly rods . I enjoy doing it . That's the fanciest  grip I have ever made . The cost of the blank makes it kind of nerve wracking to work on . 
Sage blanks being 500+ definitely need to be careful with it. Mines built off one of the fancier mhx blanks. It's my first fly build. did a giant 12 foot noodle rod for brown trout on the reservoirs here. That's a real hoot to try and reel a 8lb+ brown on 3-4lb test on a 4lb rod. It's literally like an overcooked spaghetti

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Ok so a one wt would underline  your two weight rod . This could make it cast a little faster depending on the rod . Also depending on the rod underlining  the rod could rob enough power it may not turn the line over properly . All rods from the manufacturer  has a recommended line weight . Going up or down  a weight  is common  for some guys . If a guy thinks the rod is to fast ... or they cant feel the rod load they will go up a weight . If the rod feels slow  or over flexes they will under line .  Hope this helps .

I said that poorly. I understand about over and underlining. I was just curious if you used a 1wt line, and if so, which, or upped to a 2 wt. 

Edited by left field

Sage blanks being 500+ definitely need to be careful with it. Mines built off one of the fancier mhx blanks. It's my first fly build. did a giant 12 foot noodle rod for brown trout on the reservoirs here. That's a real hoot to try and reel a 8lb+ brown on 3-4lb test on a 4lb rod. It's literally like an overcooked spaghetti

Sorry 1-4lb rod. It's like fishing with an oversized kids rod. Highly recommend it

11 hours ago, left field said:

I said that poorly. I understand about over and underlining. I was just curious if you used a 1wt line, and if so, which, or upped to a 2 wt. 

Gotcha . I bought 2 sage quiet taper lines and still use them today . They are 1 wt  lines. However I think sage bought rio lines and are making 1 wt  in an LT series of lines . Haven't looked  in a while .

9 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Sorry 1-4lb rod. It's like fishing with an oversized kids rod. Highly recommend it

I have a 12 foot noodle I built for casting repalas in the spring on Seneca lake . Use to smoke the landlocks  and browns .

• Like 1

I have a 12 foot noodle I built for casting repalas in the spring on Seneca lake . Use to smoke the landlocks  and browns .
You remember what blank you built yours off? I wish they still made the kunnan noodles. Those rods are next level! I try to buy them any chance I find em