passed on a pair tonight

bubba

I was watching a sugar beet plot this evening. The rain quit about 4, so I headed out at 4:30. Around 5:15, a doe came into the plot, then shortly after a spike horn. I was 30 to 40 yards away most of the time and they were clueless I was there. I watched them for 45 minutes or so, then they left the plot. I enjoyed watching them, but was happy to let them walk. Back to camp tomorrow for the last evening of muzzleloading, then rifle starts Saturday. I intend to keep using the ml, but it is my choice as it was my choice to pass on the deer. I like having choices and not being told what I can shoot.

• Like 1

During shotgun season , I take the shotgun opening day and then the ML the rest of the season . The ML is more fun to shoot and more of a challenge than having a backup round in the chamber .

Bubba , I probably would have shot the doe if she was a good size .

During shotgun season , I take the shotgun opening day and then the ML the rest of the season . The ML is more fun to shoot and more of a challenge than having a backup round in the chamber .

Bubba , I probably would have shot the doe if she was a good size .

Sure hope your not using an inline then because thats no more challenging than a rifle

Sure hope your not using an inline then because thats no more challenging than a rifle

It is more challenging in the sense that you only have ONE shot..then it takes time to reload..even though I'm not a fan of the new inlines.. they are a tiny bit different than using a rifle.

Edited by nyantler

It is more challenging in the sense that you only have ONE shot..then it takes time to reload..even though I'm not a fan of the new inlines.. they are a tiny bit different than using a rifle.

you usually only get one shot anyways... I kind of see using a shotgun as more of a challenge than a muzzleloader.. I will shoot quite a ways farther with my muzzleloader than I will with my shotgun

but my muzzleloader is scoped and my shotgun is iron sights smooth bore

I started hunting many years ago when I was 16. I hunted then with a T/C hawken 50 caliber sidelock which I still have. I wont go into the details as to why I started with one, because it seems to come back and bite me on the butt when someone gets a burr under their saddle. I just love the ml. So, I guess you could say I was into muzzleloaders before it was cool to have a ml, and there was no special season for them, Ed if I had not shot a nice doe last saturday, I would have shot her too. it was my observations and what I saw that made it a good evening 1 the doe was alone which tells me they have run off the fawns, to get ready to rut. 2 the buck paid absolutely no attention to her which tells me she is no where near ready yet. So all the scents and attractants will be more of a bad thing than a good one right now. 3 Deer love sugar beets.

It is nice to have choices. I'm kinda new to the ML scene & my CVA isn't fancy but i wanted it that way. Taking a deer with it last year was awsome. Would very much like to do that again with the irons. On the other hand the 500 w/ red dot & buckhammers is zeroed in well, & I've been itching to take the 700 for a walk.