Erratic Arrows at 30 yds

eagle rider

I use to shoot Easton Epic Raiders, 340 spine 30" at 70 lbs with a 100 gr head (Rage 2 Blade). The arrow was AMO at 425 grs. The bow was very consistent at both 20 and 30 yds. (I shoot a Bear Strike). I recently went down to an IBO arrow. The bow is faster since the new arrow is 72 grs lighter and I am now shooting at 5 grs per pound instead of 6. At 20 yards the faster arrows group just as good at the heavier Easton's had. At 30 yards my groups seem to be consistently left about 5". I would expect them to be a bit wider since my 42 year old eyes ain't that what they used to be. Any thoughts?????Is it just the lighter arrows are a bit flakier???? The new arrows are Harvest Time HT2's (The Harvester) and they are the same straightness as the Easton's, .003, in their arrow its a 350 spine and the length, vanes and broadhead are all the same. Has anyone had anything like this before? The bow ain't the fastest by far, so I thought the lighter arrow would give me more of edge. Maybe I should paper tune it? HHHEEELLLPPPP!!!! I don't have a lot of time to get this worked out. I am leaving for Nevada for Mule Deer next Saturday and when I get back, I go right up to Ostego for the last week of bow season.

I just went through this, this year, I have a simular set up. 70# and a 30 inch arrow, field points flew great and my muzzy's were poo after 25-30 yards. By going to a .300 spine all my problems went away. I also did the walkback tune method as I didn't have a frame to paper tune, walkback works just aswell and you can learn how to do it on a few different sites. You might be able to cure the issue by droping to 65 pounds too, the smallest adjustments can fix these issues. I just feel that a stiffer spine is better overall but if you can't get new arrows start with lowering your weight and go from there.

Don't get to frustrated, its a realatively easy fix.

I would recommend switching to the carbon express maxima hunter. They have dual spine weight forward technology, the rear of the spine is stiffer, and a heavier front arrow section. I shoot 72 lbs and 30" draw with the rage 2 blade and get awesome groups at 40 yards. Just a suggestion...

I looked it up when I got home here, Easton recomends a .300 spine for you unless you do drop down in poundage then the .340 would be ok. The Havesters are a .350 which again if it were me I would have shortened by a half inch and drop to 65 if you don't want go out and buy new arrows in a .300 spine.

How you got this issue (as did I) is from shooting a 30 inch arrow, the charts are set up for 28 or 29 inch max and once you get over that amount the chart goes out the window.

The brand of the arrow is less important than the spine IMO. I shoot CX Piledriver 450's which are a .300 spine oddly enough.