What gauge

Dom

My first two shotguns were 16 gauge..The first one was an Eastern Arms single barrel and the second one was a Rem 11-48 auto with a 28 inch modified barrel. Both guns grouped slugs acceptably with the bead sight, and killed a number of deer. I currently own only one 16 gauge, a 1936 vintage Winchester Model 12. Never shot a slug through it. It is full choke, so chances are it would not group slugs well, but you never know. I have seen a few full choke guns that grouped slugs well, but they are the exception. Generally in smoothbores, open chokes group better than tighter chokes.

An old aquaintance of mine, long since dead, had a Model 12 16 gauge with a modified barrel and a reciever sight.

He always claimed that his gun would blow a hole in a hummingbird as big as your fist at 50 yards...

Those Win. Model 12's were a heck of a shotgun and still are one of the slickest pumps around. Second only to the Rem. 870 pump IMO. American Rifleman just did a piece on the model 12. Great shotgun !

Those Win. Model 12's were a heck of a shotgun and still are one of the slickest pumps around. Second only to the Rem. 870 pump IMO. American Rifleman just did a piece on the model 12. Great shotgun !

I have never been much of a pump gun fan. I favor semis and doubles ( either SxS or O/U). I have owned rem 870s and Ithaca M37's and they are OK, ( I shot skeet for several years with an 870) but I never really warmed up to them...However, the Win M 12 just feels RIGHT... It is one of my favorite guns..The only other pump gun I currently own is a Mossy 500 in .410, which I use as a rabbit gun, when I'm just playing around. When I am SERIOUS about killing rabbits, I use my Ithaca SKB 20 gauge M100 side by side......