Scope Magnification Selection

There seems to be a particular scope magnification that shows up in about 90% of any sales flyers advertising scopes. That would be a 3x-9x variable. Fact is that I have a couple of them on my rifles myself and am quite happy with  them for 100 yard target and general varmint shooting.

BUT....

I must say that my best target groups ever shot were with a strange gun (belonging to my Brother-in-law) and a strange scope that I had never shot before, which was a .243 with a variable scope set at 24X. It brought the bullseye up so large that it really looked like I couldn't possibly miss. And by golly, I didn't miss. the 5 shot group was under a 1/4" at 100 yards.

So the question is, aside from price (his scope cost a bajillion dollars) why would anyone settle for just a common 3x-9x. Ok, I know one of the answers ...... a 24X view of a deer 20 yards away would probably look like a huge wall-to-wall brown pile of hairs. Are there any other drawbacks to the higher magnification scopes? What size magnification would you chose for deer hunting, if cost was no object? Maybe there is another selection that gives a good field of view but a higher magnification than 9x.

Doc

A high magnification scope isn't needed for deer hunting because you don't need to hit a spot on the side of a deer that is only a 1/4" in size.  With a high magnification scope, if the deer is only 50 yards away, it takes longer to find it in the scope.  If it then moves, jumps or runs, it is more difficult to find it in the scope again. 

Unless you are hunting deer in the open where shots are 300 or more yards, the 3x9 is the best variable for all average Whitetail shooting.  In close range shooting, like we get in timber, where shots are 100 yards or less, a 2x7 is a better choice.  The lower power setting is needed to get on a deer fast when it's close, especially if it is running.

If I were to go with a higher power variable on a deer rifle, I'd use a 4x12 power.  But I don't see a need for more than that for most deer hunting unless the shots are always long ones.

Another drawback to high magnification is image movement.  The slightest movement of the rifle will cause the image in the scope to jerk violently.  If you are able to solidly rest the rifle for all of your shots at Whitetail while hunting, it won't be a problem.  But 99% of the time, that will not be the case.  Try shooting a 24X rather quickly from the standing position and you will see exactly what I mean.

If you get a variable in say 6x24,  you will be able to use it OK most of the time on the 6x setting even up pretty close.  But you're still dealing with a much bigger and heavier scope, and it probably has a parallax adjustment involved on it as well.

Other than target shooting from a bench or open country long range varmint shooting I see no reason for anything over 9x.My highest is a 2.5-8.Even on my varmint rifle I only have a 2-7.In my area the cover is so thick they would be more of a hindrance than helpful.

Yes, I can see how close shots could pose a problem with the scope set at 24X. However, it's no real problem to dial it back to 6x. I never take running shots and don't even like to be hurried in my shots, so as long as I have the opportunity to change the magnification that probably wouldn't be a real problem.

However, I am beginning to see the wisdom of the 3x - 9x selection. We're not out west shooting at 400 yards ...... lol. So it would seem smarter to save a gob of money, and headaches and go with the more conventional magnification selections. I guess if I were to ever get into more serious bench-rest shooting, I would maybe have to re-address the scope selection.

Doc

I carry the 223 set on 6X . If a chuck is real close , it is hard to see . It's just a blur . I talking like walking along and spotting one at say 20 yards .

My Contender barrels sport 2X6 scopes .

My NEF Huntsman has a 1.5 X 4.5 scope .

I have a 4X20 on the NEF 25-06

Target and varmint applications call for high power scopes..

However, for real life hunting situations, you'll be better served with a lower power scope.. Some people choose not to take shots at moving game, but in the deer woods  many of us are completely capable of  making good shots on moving game...

A good quality fixed 4X scope is an excellent all around big game scope for deer sized game up to moose .. I have killed whitetails, caribou, antelope, moose and mule deer at distances from 300-400 yards with my rifles and 4X Leupolds, and never thought I lacked for any magnification..

My favorite deer rifle wears a 2x7 Burris.. I always keep it set on 2x...My HI MAG scope is a Leupold fixed 6X on my long range rig, a .280 Rem... If I need to check the critter out a little closer, I'll use my 8 X 42 Liecas or my 20X spotting scope..The 6X will certainly maintain a good crosshair on the critter out way further than I have any business shooting..

I topped my 1187 with a 2.5-7x44 ..my 30-06 is topped with a 4-12x50. My muzzle loader is topped with a 3x9x44 but my 22-250 is topped with a 6.5-20 x 50. I carry all of them aon low settings and if the longer distance shots present themselves I seem to have plenty of time to dial up. I prefer to dial up rather than down. As others have said...you can take the long shots on low setting but the high power at close range can be an issue. I hit a doe with my 1187 at 150 yards in a bald spot in a corn feild behind my stand...she whirled and ran right at me. I was on 7 power.....luckily I was able to find her in the scope as she ran 5 yards from my stand and put her down....at that range the scope was nothing but brown. Turns out I didnt need the second shot but better safe than sorry.

I would recommend that 3x9 for any application other than varmits or bench.....to me the objective size and coating is war more important.....now there go big or stay home....much better light transmission

my 2 cents

Thanks a lot all you guys that responded. This was exactly the kind of discussion I wanted to start. Sometimes things aren't always as simple as they look at first glance. I guess if the subject were all that simple, you would only have one scope size to chose from ..... lol.

So now I think I see why there are so many 3x-9x scopes to choose from. It does seem like an excellent choice for deer hunting with all things considered.

Doc