ContourROAM Sports/Helmet Camcorder

ContourROAM

http://contour.com/

In the world of sports/helmet cams, GoPro is the leader of the market. In all reviews that I’ve read, they are the top brand. I decided to go with the ContourROAM for several reasons.

1. It isn’t that far behind. It’s not like GoPro is praised while the Contour is being crapped on. GoPro just happens to be slightly better but not by much.
  2. Size and shape. The GoPro looks like a typical point and shoot digital camera. I didn’t want a big solar panel looking think sticking in front of my forehead like a Martian. Plus it’s really hard to wear the GoPro without a helmet. I really don’t see myself wearing a helmet when I go out hunting. The Contour seems to be more versatile as far as attachments go. They even sell a Picatinny Rail attachment. Unfortunately for me, the only rails I have are where the scope is sitting.
  3. Price. The Contour happens to be a little cheaper. ($200 versus $300…I think)
  4. It’s tough. While it’s only waterproof until 3 feet and can absorb some shock, the fact that it can take any of this at all without a casing is a selling point. For the GoPro, you need a casing for any of this.

Note: This review is not a Contour versus GoPro or a sports camcorder versus regular camcorder but rather a Contour versus what I need it to do which is film my hunts.

Unboxing:

The ContourROAM comes in a neat hard plastic package that basically serves as the perfect storage box as well. I thought that was pretty cool.

Setup:

Setting up was easy. You can almost film with it right out of the box. Heck, the camera even came charged! The only thing you have to do is format the microSD card which does not come with the camera. There’s a tiny hole you can stick a safety pin into and I guess it formats the card. I’m not sure if that works because I went with the other another method and that’s where I went wrong. You can plug the camera to your computer via USB and format it there as an external drive. I made the mistake of not reading the literature and ended formatting it as NTFS. Big mistake. Now the camera nor the computer will no longer recognize the card. On top of that, when there’s an issue with the card or if the camera is turned on without the card, the camera keeps giving off this loud annoying beep more minutes. Fortunately you can shut this off which is important when you go hunting. I was eventually able to fix the card by removing it, inserting it into a Blackberry, connecting the Blackberry to the computer and re-formatting it with FAT32.

Operation:

Operating the camera can’t be any easier. You just push the slide forward. That’s it. The slide turns the camera on and starts filming immediately. Slide it back and it stops filming and shuts that camera down. That’s it. It’s so simply that often I forget so when I turn the camera on and forgot it’s already filming.

Another problem. When the camera is on and filming, a red LED light is on in the front of the camera. That may spook a few animals I’m sure. This can readily be fixed by some well-placed black electrical tape.

Filming:

Problem #1. Audio is horrible. It’s so low that even when I turn on the audio sensitivity to its max, you can hardly hear my indoor voice. Granted you can hear it, it’s low, but that’s at max sensitivity. I tried this indoors and under max sensitivity, what you can hear loud and clear is my hair brushing up against the camera when I move it. Outdoor, the wind might be a problem under max sensitivity. I guess I have to realize that it is a sports camera and not a full-fledge camcorder.

Problem #2. No view finder, no digital screen. You can’t see what you’re filming. There’s a laser light that can be used to align your camera which fixes that but won’t help when you read on.

I bought the head-band attachment so I can wear it on my head. The camera is so light that it isn’t an issue comfort wise. The issue is that when you attach it to your head, you want it to point forward so you’re filming the subjects you’re looking it. The problem is that we don’t always look straight. We sometimes roll our eyes. This problem becomes very apparent when shooting because whether you shoot a bow or a rifle, your head is actually tilted and you’re eyes are looking rolled to one side. For example. If you’re a right handed shooter like I am, when you rest your cheek on the cheek rest, my face is actually facing maybe 20 degrees to the right. It’s even more when I’m using a bow. Okay, well then just adjust your headband accordingly. If you slide your headband back 30 degrees, now when you’re not shooting, the camera is always facing 30 degree to the left of where you’re looking at. You can slide it back. Now you’re constantly sliding back and forth and each time you do, you’re not sure if your camera is facing the right angle/direction. You can using the alignment laser in fear of scaring off the animal.

The other solution is to attach it to your rifle or bow. I want to avoid this because then whenever you want to film anything else you have to point the rifle at the subject and that’s just unsafe.

All this makes you remember the fact that it is a sports camcorder and not a full fledge camcorder. Oh, and no zoom. Again, its sports camcorder.

Film quality:

It shoots at 1080P. I haven’t used it outdoors yet and will post a sample when I do. I played with it indoors where the lighting isn’t spectacular so the film came out a little grainy. I’m not going to write a review on this but rather I’ll hopefully post a video up there for you to judge for yourself.

Conclusion:

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. To get everything you want, you’re going to have to have one attached to your head and a second one attached to your rifle/bow. A full fledge camcorder can do all this but doesn’t offer the complete hands free, move with you, and size and ruggedness of a sports camcorder. It’s not a perfect world out there so I don’t think you’re going to find one device that can do it all. As far as sports camcorders go, I think the Contour is a very good purchase. I’m happy with it so far.

I got the Rhino Lid cam, which has straight on, 30 degree, and 60 degree angles....I have tested it and it works great.......I will be trying it in PA next week. Im just hoping if I see a buck, I remember to turn it on or have a chance to turn it on before shooting. If not, I can tape my entire trailing and recovery process.

I don't care what type of contraption they invent. I for one will never understand the need to videotape ones own kill. I could see why hunting shows do it, and that's for entertainment, and to make money, but why would I want to record one of my own kills? Isn't it way better to just have it etched in your memory and maybe a photo or two with the animal once it's down? A shaky, grainy video of the kill will do what for us? And what is one supposed to do when an animal give you a shot? Do you fiddle with on/off switch on the video camera or do you concentrate on making an accurate killing shot with your weapon?? I will never get why any hunter (other than those in the hunting TV show business) would need a videocamera on his head or weapon to record the moment.

I guess some hunters aren't challenged enough with hunting alone they have to make it harder for themselves. I wouldn't waste money or time doing it but I would imagine some hunters just want to document their hunt. I always have a digital camera on me in the woods. Sometimes I like to take a few pics of deer I have no intention of shooting or other wildlife.

"Isn't it way better to just have it etched in your memory and maybe a photo or two with the animal once it's down?"

It is certainly easier for sure...and the etching into the memory is a given anyway but yes, it is about documenting, preserving, and sharing your memories. I guess it's the same reason why people video/photography vacation and family trips.

• Like 1

It is certainly easier for sure...and the etching into the memory is a given anyway but yes, it is about documenting, preserving, and sharing your memories. I guess it's the same reason why people video/photography vacation and family trips.

I don't know if it's the same thing as a family vacation. I wouldn't see anything wrong with videotaping the hunting camp, the people there, you know the basic stuff one would with a family vacation video. The KILL in hunting is something very different, though. One needs the concentration to be focused on making that KILL and not something else. If one wants to video or photograph animals, they don't need to wait for hunting season to do it. Like I said having that shaky, grainy video from a camera mounted to a tree or weapon will do little to preserve the moment. Besides how many people, even family members really want to watch us killing something? Maybe some others who also hunt might want to see it, but I can guarantee you they wouldn't want to see it more than once. Same goes for the family vacation videos by the way. LOL

This is an intersteing topic for me since i have been videotaping in the wild ever since i can remember. For me its not about just geting the kill on tape, but trying to capture the whole hunt on film so i when im going through hunting withdrawals in the off season i can always go back and watch my videos and hold me over till the season starts. I also enjoy sharing my hunts with other family members/friends/hunters and doing all the editing to try and make it as interesting as possible. I guess everybody has thier own opinions and thats what makes people different. I also like that i can go back through all my footage once in a while and see things that i wouldnt even remember otherwise that i have captured on film over the years. My two brothers and i have a website called rubinofilms.com which we try to gear towards hunters in the northeast. We have a fourm like this one and even though there arent too many members its fun to share stories and info with the other hunters that have joined. WIth that said camera or no camera i still love being in the outdoors. There is nothing like sitting in my stand away from everyone and everything just enjoying the outdoors.

John

• Like 1

Well, you have a choice. You can watch your in-laws open socks on x-mas or you can watch one of your old hunts. :spiteful:

I think it was Doe who got the socks. Same gift he gets from them every year. They bought a package of 8 pairs eight years ago and have been giving him a pair from the same package for 8 Christmases now. I guess this year he might be getting something different. I bet Doe is besides himself in anticipation?

I think it was Doe who got the socks. Same gift he gets from them every year. They bought a package of 8 pairs eight years ago and have been giving him a pair from the same package for 8 Christmases now. I guess this year he might be getting something different. I bet Doe is besides himself in anticipation?

I am betting this years gift might be something you can find in the gift shop of a loonie bin. Just like the bags of stuff left on my porch for Halloween. lol

i have a contour "helmet" camera that i have attached to my bow stabilizer by way of those heavy duty lobster rubber bands. Its a great spot completely hands free, just leave the slide on record and turn the power button on when i see deer. this eliminates any sound when the camera is powered up. i would have some sweet video of a doe and her 3 fawns mowing down my food plot the other night but apparently the sd card was backed up with other content and nothing recorded. i will be posting clips as soon as i can get a deer in front of it lol

I have the Contour HD camera mounted to my riser right in line with my bow stabilizer. I only attach it to the bow on nicer days with nice lighting. So far I've filmed a couple of Mama and yearling deer families roaming right under my treestand. I also filmed a little of the first snowfall for my wife who loves to see it snow cause she was back home with no snow. It's also cool if you see other game come through that most people never get to see. I have a handlebar mount for it for the mountain bike which I think will also work on a gun barrel. The problem with using it on the deer rifle is that I could be making a long shot and there's no zoom. Probably not worth the effort for the gun. I'm still tweaking the picture settings on it. It has a really nice picture but it has this flickering action like it's refreshing the picture every few seconds. I think it's a light metering setting that needs adjusting. With the Contour, the only way you can make adjustments is by hooking it to your computer.