Blew it this morning! Turkey won!

Blew it this morning!

I have not hunted turkeys in years, but thought it might be a good diversion from the crazy clinic workload stress as a result of this Covid deal. So yesterday I went out about 10 am and just sat in the woods for about an hour. I heard a couple gobbles that sounded miles off, so I came back to the house and did yard work all day. 

Last night I drove down the road to a high spot that lets me look over my fields, and I saw a few hens and a Tom up there. The Tom was actually running straight up the hill like on a mission. lol

This morning I over slept (getting old I guess) so about 7:30 I puttered a bit around the house, got dressed, grabbed my only 3 rusty shells, and slowly  drove up the hill on my wheeler. I sat in a big creek bottom by some pine tress between fields. I called for a while and heard nothing, no gobbles even far off. Then when I was ready to pull the plug and head back because of the bugs, I called a series of yelps.  GOBBLE GOBBLE...real close! 

I slid over to the other side of a tree to be where I thought he was coming from and I just waited. Nothing!

Then by chance I turned my head to the side and caught him there behind me! About 50 yards and closing in, strutting then pecking the ground. His head was snowball white and long beard swinging! My heart was racing as I was trying to figure out how to get turned around without getting caught with him being so close. He had not a clue I was there and kept walking closer, stopping briefly to strut but never turning his back to me. He was walking down the hill to the creek and if he made it here, he would disappear from my sight, and the next I would see of him he would be within 10 yards of me. I had no idea where he would pop up again! 

I waited until his head went behind a tree and I then rolled up on my right hip and got the shotgun up pointed in his direction. He caught on something was up and ran a few feet the other way and stood there. I put the bead on the base of his neck and let the shot fly. At about 25 yards, downhill shot, it was a clean miss. Not a feather touched! Following the shot he took a few running strides and flew down the hill. 

I felt sick that I played it wrong when it came to closing the deal. No excuses here. I should have been able to get it done and didn't. I let my excitement get the best of me. I am happy though I called him in as close as I did, and that if not killed at least not wounded. 

Edited by New York Hillbilly
spelling
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

It's always a tough walk home after a situation like that

Yup....it had me kicking myself pretty good. On the other hand it is sort of nice to know at my age, and with so many years hunting,  I can still get pretty amped up when things get exciting. It's the same feeling I had as a kid. A brief moment of feeling young still. I'll be happy with that as my trophy this time around!            :  )

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 10:50 AM, New York Hillbilly said:

I felt sick that I played it wrong when it came to closing the deal. No excuses here. I should have been able to get it done and didn't. I let my excitement get the best of me. I am happy though I called him in as close as I did, and that if not killed at least not wounded. 

I used to feel that way too but not so much nowadays.  I curse at myself a little and quite a bit more at the bird lol, shake my head and smile and try again tomorrow. You had a great chance and it didnt come together today, no worries, it just makes it that much sweeter when you do connect!