Ok show me what you do with....

cynthiafu

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Do tell! How’s there no meat? My biggest issue is dealing with the clunky-ness of the base of the tail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lay fan spread out on big piece of paper/ card board.  Then. Pull all the feathers. The main tail feathers start from outside and overlap in to center, the next set start in center and work out . Simply clean the pulled feathers from oil using alcohol/ dawn dish soap

Then hot glue them to fender washer using your outline as guide to position. Add another fender washer and  repeat using next row of feather and then the last set(back/ small tail feathers.. 

I found using a arc shaped piece of cardboard between layers adds some depth and separation similar to meat on a real bird and adding fender washer to it ( lining up the holes for a screw to attach to board) the either cover last washer and screw with feather or tack leather or anything you want over it base of fan.  Takes about 40 min from start to finish, never rots and is ready for your wall in under an hour if you have plack or screw to wall in garage directly. 

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

You lay fan spread out on big piece of paper/ card board.  Then. Pull all the feathers. The main tail feathers start from outside and overlap in to center, the next set start in center and work out . Simply clean the pulled feathers from oil using alcohol/ dawn dish soap

Then hot glue them to fender washer using your outline as guide to position. Add another fender washer and  repeat using next row of feather and then the last set(back/ small tail feathers.. 

I found using a arc shaped piece of cardboard between layers adds some depth and separation similar to meat on a real bird and adding fender washer to it ( lining up the holes for a screw to attach to board) the either cover last washer and screw with feather or tack leather or anything you want over it base of fan.  Takes about 40 min from start to finish, never rots and is ready for your wall in under an hour if you have plack or screw to wall in garage directly. 

That’s an interesting way to do it but I wouldn’t fret rot the other way.  All I’ve ever done is tack them down in the fanned position with the meat UP. Then just salt the crap out of the meat with regular table salt.   Wait a month or three and shake the salt off, hang on wall.  

Mine are still hanging in there after 29 years.......