Still Hunting

Sjo

Anyone still hunt? I have been trying it so far this year. Wow, it is real hard to get within range. I have seen deer each time out but have only had one shot opportunity. I missed low, not sure if it was nerves or misjudging the distance, probably a bit of both. I want to get up in a tree because I'm getting itchy, but man still hunting is much more exciting.

• Like 1

I like it but only during certain situations. One farm i hunt is a tree farm and i will stalk the rows of trees like a corn field. Poke your head out and look through the rows and move up and repeat. I also like to still hunt down a stream bed. Its not deep so knee boots are more than enough but you can move really quite. Quite being key. I don't do much still hunting unless there is snow on the ground or its wet. I tend to focus on the trees and streams because you can hunt them any time and for the most part its quite.

Last year i followed a group of three doe through the trees for 250+ yards and just could not get in front of them for a shot. I also came up on a small basket six going down a stream bed. Gave me a couple shots to drop him but i passed. About 100 yards latter i jumped a really nice buck out of his bed (under 30 yards). He bedded up under a hemlock and i could not see him. I am still kicking myself over that one because i had decided to call it quits and stepped up onto the bank. Had i kept in the stream and gone another couple yards i would have been able to see under the tree :banghead:

I love to still hunt, what a rush it is to be on the ground trying to get close to a deer without them hearing or seeing. It is so much harder to still hunt usually have deer running away after jumping them from there beds or them spotting you first. But to be eye level with a Doe or Buck at 5 yds. and not being detected is incredible. Scent control is at the most highest priority when still hunting. I was up in the Catskills two weeks ago still hunting and had two Does trying to fiqure me out one in front of me at 20 yds and the other walking around some brush to my left trying to scent me down wind at 10 yds. As it turned out I couldn't get a shot off, they were just to close to make a move. But what a great day in the woods in a long time.

Went out Sunday morning. All spots north of the lie were reserved by small game. I went to a spot that I have never scouted before. Walked in about 30 mins before sunrise, found a fresh scrape and a small rub so I brushed myself in about 10 yards away. 2 hrs later in comes this 4 pointer walking around. No clean shots available, he was about 8 yds away and my heart was going crazy. Really wanted to take a shot but couldn't get a clean opportunity. There is nothing like being on the ground 8 yds away and not being spotted. I'm hooked on the ground. Way more challenging

Other than the opening day of gunseason, and a few of the more productive gun hunting days, almost all of my gun season is spent still hunting. It has been a very productive way of hunting once the deer have been put into their super survival mode by the onslaught of the guns.

Bow season still finds me hunting from the ground, but strictly in a stationary fashion in a constructed ground blind or some convenient blow-down if I can find one.