Savage 99f .308

I have a 99f that when I put a round in the chamber I can not put the safety on. Is this a typical problem with this gun or how it was manufactured? The gun shoots great and very accurate it feeds rounds fine into and out of the gun. The safety will only go on when the gun is empty of all bullets. I thought it was kind of strange any help or knowledge would be a great help.

i would definitely give savage a call to see if this is a problem that they will rectify. I know from my shooting experience, and common sense, that isnt normal. Most gun manufacturers today seem to stand by their products well and will most likely offer a solution. maybe its just me, but i dont think i would be taking the gun anywhere with a round in the chamber without having the safe on

• 3 weeks later...

My brother has a 99g and the safety is on the lever. If the safety won't slide forward it could be a headspace problem. I would suggest getting a gunsmith to check the headspacing of the chamber. There may be a build up of fowling that is preventing the round from seating properly. Even if this is not the problem having a gunsmith look at it is a good idea.

I would have it checked out. What's the point of having a safety that only works when the gun is empty? I have a Savage Model 12 with a different problem. The bolt won't open with the safety on. I have to take the safety off to open the bolt. Afterwards, I can put the safety back on. Since the Model 12 is an internal box magazine, if I ever have an unspent round in the chamber and want to eject it, I have to take the safety off first. A minor issue which I never thought it was worth having it checked out but your issue is worth having it looked at.

are they reloads or factory ammo? I have the 99 in 300. I reload for it. If the case is not full length sized, the lever will not close entirely. By entirely I mean within a fraction of where it should be. The gun will still fire, but the safety will not engage. If they are reloads, try some factory ammo. If ti is factory ammo, try a different factory ammo. If that does not fix it, have it looked at.

I'm having trouble with a Savage Model 99A I own, it has a tang safety (on top of the receiver). Twice now, while loaded, I have switched the safety from "Safe" to "Fire"..AND THE GUN HAS GONE OFF WITHOUT MY TOUCHING THE TRIGGER!!!! :fie: The first time it happened, I chalked it up to my being excited, and accidentally squeezing the trigger; the second time, I know it wasn't error on my part.

I did a little research, and this doesn't seem to be a common issue with Model 99s. I contacted my gunsmith who says it's an easy fix, as soon as I get a little extra $$ it's being brought in for repairs.