Rifle Hoist..

Ford

Looks good. He's right about the hoist rope, always swings and twists on me on the way up and down. Real annoying.

Buy braided line for your hoist ropes, they tend not to turn as much as twisted rope. I like to use a rope because I tie in a loop to slip around the gun stock and a 1' tail with a caribiner on it to attach my pack or anything else I want up there. I like the boot for the muzzle to go in on this though.

Why not make sure your gun is unloaded and use a piece of rope that you probably already have? Tie it around the stock, then put one loop around the barrel and pull away. It's muzzle up (remember that you've already unloaded it) so you don't need a "sock" to keep the muzzle out of the dirt.

My stands are lock ons so I wear my pack up the tree.

Unnecessary hunting gadget $15, Common Sense $0

I have always hoisted my firearm up muzzle first, with a simple line around the sling on the forearm..

It is always unloaded and action open.. It still bothers me that it comes up muzzle first, but it IS empty, and there is minimal chance that the muzzle can be plugged..

This system is OK and I like it if the firearm is a muzzleloader. With the MZ, the primer or cap is removed, but there is still a charge in the barrel, which makes me uncomfortable, even if the firearm is considered unloaded without being primed.