Using Special Golden Estrus

Anybody ever use "Special Golden Estrus" by Wildlife Research Center? Comes in a 1oz. bottles with 2 wicks. Have a couple of questions.

1. Is this legal in NY? or is it considered baiting? I have never used scent lures or anything hunting. Only stuff I have ever used is non-scented spray, etc on my clothes.

2. If legal, How/When do use it? I assume you put it on a wick and put the wick somewhere near a trail your watching, etc. My question is when do you set this up? I get in before dark and watch trails and a valley that I never walk into or through, so I wouldnt want to walk down the valley 40-65 yards and set this up, since I often see deer before shooting light, so I dont want to spook them. Should I walk down in there to set it up there say midday, so its active for the afternoon and next morning?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I take a peice of clothes line about 2 ft long and tie it around my boot.I dip the string in the scent every 70 yds or so.Do this up to the line i want them to walk.Then i put a pill bottle with cotton in it that i saturate the cotton with the scent,in a shooting lane that i want them to stop.I put usuall 2 bottles out in two seperate shootng lanes.

I also put scent wicks about 100 yds from my stand in a cross wind taht might attract the buck to it.That wick is on the trail i walk with the trailling string with scent to my stand.That whay when it walks to that wick it will follow the scent to my other scent bottles.Than thwack.

In theory this works.Hasn't yet this season.The bucks i see are already chasing a doe.

Dick's has the Golden Estrus scent on sale this week for $6.98 .

Yes, I saw that at Dick's in Danbury, CT. Didnt buy it, since I wasn't sure if it was legal or not in NY, and if it would even benefit me or not. I guess midday of opening day I could put it 50-60 yards away near the trail I watch with the shotgun.

This stuff will work great during archery. Wet the wick and put it on a branch over a scrape. To be honest, I think it's a waste of money to use it on opening day of rifle. Pressured deer are not going to stop to smell it. I think by second week you could see some positive results with it. The rut will be pretty much done but you could still get a curious buck to stop and present a shot.

I hunt 8 acres where the deer dont see any people except me/my dad each hunting season. we dont even go in their throughout the winter, spring, summer, etc to scout.....we go in the week before gun season to make sure our spots are clear of fallen trees, etc...and thats it. for 350+ days per year these deer have these woods to themselves, 1-15 days per year there are 1 or 2 hunters in these woods.

No achery hunting or small game or predator hunting, etc.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Will work when timed right, have had plenty of bucks stick there noses right in my scent wicks.

I don't reccomend leaving wicks in the woods, the smart bucks will get used to the frustrating scent.

I do reccomend the special golden gel, last longer in scent bombs.

I've used it all with great results, active scrape, trails end number 607 ( i think ), and golden E gel and regular. I can say it Def gets their attention and i personally haven't seen anything spook, not even a doe. Just ask pretty lil Tiffany.... " It's the golden standard "

I used golden estrus this past weekend. It worked on 2 bucks. One I spooked and he came back (spike), the other, a 2.5 yr old w/ a crappy rack came up behind me with his nose to the ground. I scared the crap out of him as I turned around. He scared the crap outa me and we went our seperate ways! (yeah right, I followed him to the property line, but he bounced on me) I saw no does this weekend either.

I have dragged a rag soaked in golden estrus to my stand then hung a scent wick in a nearby tree. On 2 separate occasions I had deer follow 5 minutes later. Both times it was too dark to see or shoot but I assume they were bucks as I could hear both sniffing. My brother shot a nice 7 pt last year using golden estrus. In my opinion golden estrus can't hurt.

i used it this past weekend. dragged it to my stand and i had a 3pt all over it. he hung around for a good 1\2 hr he started makin rubs around my stand. he was gruntin and snort wheezein with his ears back hooking trees he was looking for a fight. it was cool to watch and hear him.

In the 15+ yrs. I've been bowhunting I only have had 1 mature buck come into my scent bomb.( He is now hanging on the wall in the office) I have had numerous scrub bucks come into it. I believe being as scent free as you can and not leaving any scent out is the way to go. All it takes is for a mature buck to bust a hunter using scent 1 time and he is now educated. This goes for grunt calls, estrous bleets ect... Once educated, good luck trying to bring them in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still havent ever tried this yet. Should I try it this upcoming weekend while hunting with the crossbow? or is too late in the season to use?

I usually only use it heavy during the chase of the primary rut....I am always afraid to overuse stuff, or use it at the wrong time, but I guess there is only one way to find out.