Water Rat

No turkey poults

I saw one flock recently in a clover field (Schuyler County, North of Watkins Glen). Hen had one poult with her that was about the size of a grouse and she also had 5 smaller ones that were dove sized. Remember that DEC wants to hear about turkey poult sightings during the month of August. The have an online form on their website,

9 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I saw one flock recently in a clover field (Schuyler County, North of Watkins Glen). Hen had one poult with her that was about the size of a grouse and she also had 5 smaller ones that were dove sized. Remember that DEC wants to hear about turkey poult sightings during the month of August. The have an online form on their website,

This is the 1st year in the last 8 or so that, I have not seen any Poults. I have 5 Jakes that visit regularly and some Hens that come + go.

I am going to step up my Scouting soon with the coming Cooler Weather and hopefully, I will see some Young of the Year Turkeys in my Travels.

I had only seen 3 poults until a few weeks ago.  Once we got some rain they started getting out in the hay fields (like on a normal year) around here.  I would say they were on the small side, but at least I am seeing some.  

I have been driving 1+ hour to our family farm in Central VT and there are plenty of poults there.  I counted 2 hens with 19 poults in one field.  My brother says there are at least 3 flocks like that on the farm.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Turkey are not my strong suit, so I'm wondering what the effects of a severe summer drought is on poult survival and growth?

They get their water from plants they eat and bugs ,drought actually helps them catch grasshoppers and crickets. 

• Thanks 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

This has been the best hatch here in years , 6 to 10 poults per hen, huge small flock 3 or 4 hens with 20 to 40 little ones..  even my 87 year old neighbor is excited to see so many hanging around.

• Thanks 1

Screenshot_20200828-142335_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3b936df4acd3350e48c295ead4b486cd.jpgAlways good to see a nice flock of birdsl1 Leto

Screenshot_20200828-142335_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

I turned a corner in a trail this spring and my grouse dog lunged at a hen(she flew up) with what seemed to be 20 or so chicks. I confirmed them on camera a few days ago, at least 8  still with mom hen. 

• Like 1

Still only seeing 1 orphaned poult around the house. Hopefully the real wild turkeys in the woods are doing better. Heard foxes barking last night. Pretty sure that they got the hen with only one foot. She did well for herself lasting this long.