Raising a gun into stand?

wooly

Hey fellas, this is only my second season hunting from a treestand so I still got a few minor details I need to figure out. How do you guys get your guns up in the stand. I'm using a climber and have a rope on each side with a carribiner clip to haul up my gear.

My question is, where do you hook the gun up that is safe for the gun and yourself. Last year I would hook up to my sling, but things were a little unbalanced and my gun teeter totterd doing a backflip half ways up. I'm afraid I'm gonna accidently bump my scope off this way or worse.

What am I missing?

* gun is a ML and I know better than to haul it up primed.Thanx

I haul my backpack and gun up on a single rope. I have an 18ft rope with a dog chain type clip on both ends. I tie the rope around the backpack loop leaving about 8 inches from the knot to the clip. I run this under the sling and around the barrel/stock and clip it to the rope below the backback knot. This is then a slip knot that tightens around the stock. I lay the gun on the side of the back pack and tie the backpack strap around the stock, under the scope. This keeps the gun at an angle as it is lifted so it is not pointing straight up (AT ME!!)

I then (this is very important) clip the other end to the base of my stand. (I forget to do this about 1 of 10 times)

I then climb until I feel the wait of the backpack pulling on the stand. I then know I am exactly 18 ft up. OF course , remove the primer and open the action before proceding.

Works for me ....Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Lol- that's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard!

Your ground pounding tactics are welcome here...probably bump quite a few to me without even knowing it!

104_0584.jpg

101_0591.jpg

I couldnt disagree more. Based on your pics, a deer could spot your movement probably over 100 yards away. I hunt open valley between thick pines. By the time a deer can see me, he's only 50 or less yards away. Many times I have had deer eating the bushes I am sitting against. While be limited in a tree stand with a gun? I have seen deer out of range or in a spot that didnt present a spot, so being im on the ground already I can sneak to a better spot and make the shot.

No worries Biz- my appologies for getting my panties in a bunch. I only asked a rather simple question of getting a gun up, and instead get schooled in how to effectively hunt my area. That's when I just take the liberty to post some pics and let the post spiral where it will from there,lol.

Staying on topic saves everyone a lot of time reading stuff that has nothing to do with the title...including the original poster. Get my drift?

Hey...wooly ..........what are you doing in my back yard? LOL! I just came in from one of my spots and it looks just like that.

Well ya better find yourself another spot....you can't kill deer in a place like that without a helicopter, a parachute, and a short bungie chord,lol!

I don't know if it's helpful or not, but I've found that flat straps (mine is about 1" wide) are generally more stable than rope. I generally attach it by looping it tightly twice around the midpoint on my sling, and the gun stays horizontal and stable (no wobbling around) while I raise or lower it. Unloaded of course!

• 2 weeks later...