second encounter with a big buck. He is still walking

bubba

I had a close family member/neighbor pass away 11/2/11. She had been sick a while, so my hunting time has been limited as I was spending time with her in the hospital. Anyway, 2 weeks ago, I was in the tree stand that overlooks a swamp edge. Through the thick brush and swail grass, I watched what looked like a 10 point following a doe through the thick stuff. As the doe got to the edge of the opening to the hardwods, she turned away from me and headed away in the tall grass. Needless to say, so did the buck. I am not a person to take an iffy shot through thick brush and hope for the best. This morning, a buddy and I went out on our annual traditional Thanksgiving morning hunt. This is year 28 we have done this and have had a good deal of success. (yes I know I am old). I decided to take a watch along the neighbors property line, which is a cut corn field. At 7:15, the buck appeared in the corn field about 175 yards across the open field and began to feed. Number one that told me the best of the rut is over and the bucks are feeding heavy again. The land next door is off limits, so I watched him hoping he would come my way. I pulled out the primos can and bleated a couple times. This got his attention, but not real strong. He did work his way to me to about 100 yards. He fed and moved around but would not come across the property line. He then slipped back in the thick heading toward the swamp to bed down. This is two times I could have taken a chance, but decided not to. I watched him probably 15 to 20 minutes hoping and waiting. He is a nice heavy 10 and I shot a 197 pound 8 point last year. This deer body size was bigger at least before he hit the ground. About a half hour later, the guy who leases the land drove his truck back into the field and started looking at the tracks. We have about 5 inches of snow since yesterday morning. I yelled over to him and said you are about an hour late. I then told him what I had saw, and how I exercised restraint. He thanked me for that, and said he would do the same if he was on my side. He drives the truck back in and sits in it in the brush on the other side of the field. I told him I would not shoot in that direction even of the deer was on my side and he agreed not to shoot in my stand direction. We did agree that fair chase was fine if either of us do hit something to go get it if it crosses over the property line. All he has to hunt there is a green field and cut corn field, so he was happy to here come over and get one if it crosses. The land owner keeps the rest for himself. He pays 2500 a year to drive his truck back in the field sit in it and try to shoot a deer. However even though I do not agree with his hunting methods, I am sure he will abide by the rules. I am back to camp tomorrow morning after the festivities today. I will be looking for a place to ambush him on my side. Good luck to all and Happy Thanksgiving

Edited by bubba

There was an old fellow when I was a kid who was our neighbor who liked to hunt but could hardly walk. He would drive his truck up back and pull it into the weeds and sit on the edge of the field next to it in a lawn chair. It sure looked goofy but he usually got a deer and he got out when he otherwise wouldn't have been able to. This was back before everybody and his brother ripped around everywhere on 4-wheelers.

Yesterday I was in the same area, again on the property line. I had a doe about 40 yards away in the corn filed. All oi fa sudden behond me the shots started abiut 4:10PM. The doe took off running and she was not being shot at. Well long story short, before he exited the field, there was a DEC officer , whom I have dealt with there. He shot a spike from the truck. Tickets galore I am sure. Watching the news to see and if not, I will find out. I am more than sure hunting from the truck is done.