Sowing rate for winter wheat and clover

I'm planning to plant appx 3 acres to winter wheat and clover within a couple of weeks...I  turned the plot over and have kept it worked up by discing once a week...

I  will be broadcasting the seed  within a seeder mounted on an ATV...How much seed should I apply per acre  ?

what is your goal for the following year - IE the clover. That is a factor for the answer.

If you're tossing down annual red clover with no long-term plan for that plot, the rates will be different than compared to a more traditional perennial clover that will become the primary cultivar.

Im guessing perennial white clovers? All clovers(there are many) typically are spread at different rates.. 

If traditional perennial clover, I would plant wheat at a 50-75lbs per acre with white clover(depending on seed species) seed at a rate of about 4-6lbs per acre . Your perennial whites set roots first before they produce much anything out of the soil, making it seem as if they arent doing well this fall, but will explode come April.  

If medium red clover, go about 12-15lbs per acre. with same seed rate for your wheat. 

Then frost seed in March with a perennial mix again. And mow the plot next June. This will give you a great clover plot for next year, if thats whats desired.

If your looking for clover to be used this fall and not so much as a perennial plot, id buy an annual clover like Crimson Red and or Balansa  at 5-10 lbs per acre and only go with 50lbs of your wheat seed per acre.. All depends on your goal for this plot.. 

Also if broadcasting, seed wheat and clovers separately 

• Thanks 1

September 1 - 20, I get the ground worked up good,  then broadcast wheat at about 75 pounds per acre, then cultipack.   After cultipacking, I broadcast tall ladino (white) clover at 7 pounds per acre, then cultipack again, 90 degrees from the first direction.

If I can score some free leftover soybeans, I add those to the mix, up to 50 pounds per acre, prior to the first cultipack.  When those start to sprout, they will draw deer away from white oak acorns like nothing else will.  One of the many benfits of climate change, is late frosts, which has let those late planted soybeans last well into bow season in WNY.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1