Cheap and quiet target practice

I never liked using expensive hunting ammo on paper but the current ammo shortage and excessive cost has increased that dislike.

That said, there is no substitute for lots of practice to sharpen skills and build confidence for shots on game.  I like a bb gun for most of that practice. 5000 of those costs $ 5.  It is also much quieter than the real thing, and can easily be done off you deck while the neighbors are napping.

I like to practice until I can cut a beer can (hanging from a wire on the clip) in half in under 10 minutes and using less than 50 shots.  It gets tougher when the can is swinging from the wind or previous impacts, and you get down to the last narrow shard of aluminum.  For added challenge, cutting the top half off the clip  usually takes many more shots.  Putting a bigger bullet in the right spot on a deer or squirrel is a piece of cake after that.

I modified my daughter's Red-Ryder with a steel "big loop", and a long stock to match my Marlin 336BL.

20200830_192630.jpg

20200830_192555.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 5