This is sick

Single_shot

This is sickening  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Let it burn

• yes
    • no

NO, that 104 is just the fire department portion on my parcel.If you notice is says Ovid Fire for 103.98.

Culver I know volunteer Fire Departments get funding it right here on my tax bill.

Here is a breakdown on rental property just for County property taxes Total: 1,133.44

Rate Assessed Tax

County Tax 6.243351 78,500.00 490.10

Town Tax 1.450918 78,500.00 113.90

Highway Item I 4.458327 78,500.00 349.98

Ovid-romulus fire 1.324529 78,500.00 103.98

Recycling fee 28.000000 1.00 units 28.00

Ss ambul contract 47.481908 1.00 units 47.48

For a total of $1,133,44

This is just Property Taxes not including school taxes

Edited by HectorBuckBuster

There is no such thing as just a "poor" family in NYS. This state (and your paycheck) subsidize damn near anyone and everyone who puts their hand out. The only people I could say have reason to claim to be poor are the folks living on the street. And for those folks I help out any time I can. There is such a sense of entitlement in this country it is sickening. What if they didn't buy car insurance becasue "they didnt think they would ever need it" then they ran into you totalling your vehicle? Would you happily pay to replace your own car because these folks are less fortunate?

I have seen first class what poverty looks like. Take a drive around some trailer parks or projects. You are going to see Xbox 360's, 60 inch LED, Surround Sound, new applicances, ipads, ipods, etc, etc, etc. That's your hard earned dollar at work. I beg you to go around the ferw days following xmas and take a look a the empty boxes going in the garbage.

The "welfare" system was overhauled when Pataki was in office. The overwhelming majority of people who are getting help, are people who lost their jobs due to no fault of their own. I actually knew a guy who couldn't get help, because he lost his job due to his own actions. They wouldn't give him anything. This is a different system than what existed years ago, which was a disaster. It's kind of strange as to how many suits now go in and out of there. People who were well to do, and took it for granted. Things can change overnight in this economy.

Actually, we will probably never know who they pay taxes to. Irregardless, taxes are supposed to be paid for public services. If you're a block away, how do you know if anyone is in the house? It's not like they went in and checked. As for taxes, and New York City, when it comes to funding between the city, and upstate, there have been many battles over that, as upstate usually gets the short end of the stick when it comes to funding for education, etc. This is no big secret.

I live on Long Island and pay school tax about $12000 a year. Just went up another $1000. And I also pay school tax to the Sullivan West school District. All my boys are grown and I have no one in either school, but I still must pay so I don't see how they are being short changed upstate. Then we should see which house holds don't pay school tax and not educate their kids.

That's heartless what if it was someone you knew who was on hard times and had no job and couldn't afford the $75?

If it were me I'd hire them to do something. We have a single mom of three that we are friends with. we have watched her kids when she was in a pinch so she could go to her job. That is what friends do. Mandated charity is not charity. and as I said in my earlier post. a kid could earn $75 bucks. This wasn't a surprise fee. it was known.

I live on Long Island and pay school tax about $12000 a year. Just went up another $1000. And I also pay school tax to the Sullivan West school District. All my boys are grown and I have no one in either school, but I still must pay so I don't see how they are being short changed upstate. Then we should see which house holds don't pay school tax and not educate their kids.

I stand corrected. I should have said the 'burbs. Believe it or not, there are certainly people in Southern Dutchess paying the same amount. Then again, a new house in Southern Dutchess will run about $750,000.

If it were me I'd hire them to do something. We have a single mom of three that we are friends with. we have watched her kids when she was in a pinch so she could go to her job. That is what friends do. Mandated charity is not charity. and as I said in my earlier post. a kid could earn $75 bucks. This wasn't a surprise fee. it was known.

Can't explain away a heartless attitude!!!

Ok, I understand the $12,000 total on school taxes but what is the rate per $1000 .As right now are school tax rate is 15.71221 per $1000 . We are near the side as other areas around us run $16-22 per $1000. This would make it easier to compare. If you had a $500,000 house in Seneca County in the South Seneca School your taxes would be would be $7856 a year with no star exemption.

There could be some legal grounds why they could not put out the fire.Say a fireman got hurt trying to put the fire out, they may not be covered by the insurance as there was not legal contract to be there to fight the fire in the first place.. Or maybe the trailers owners would try and sue for some stupid reason.

Instead of being judgmental where is your compassion. They lost their home and all their possessions.

Have you read any of my posts on this thread? I feel for them and If they were my neighbors you bet I would be helping them out. My frustration level is more with guys like you that want everyone to get a free pass and not be held responsible for their actions,. No one is ever going to convince me that if they had CHOSE to pat the fee they coulnd't have come up with the means to get $75 bucks together in a 12 month period. Hell the pan handlers in downtown Rochester make more than that.

Call me cold hearted....I'm fine with that. We'll just have to agree to disagree on wheter folks should be responsible for themselves

Have you read any of my posts on this thread? I feel for them and If they were my neighbors you bet I would be helping them out. My frustration level is more with guys like you that want everyone to get a free pass and not be held responsible for their actions,. No one is ever going to convince me that if they had CHOSE to pat the fee they coulnd't have come up with the means to get $75 bucks together in a 12 month period. Hell the pan handlers in downtown Rochester make more than that.

Call me cold hearted....I'm fine with that. We'll just have to agree to disagree on wheter folks should be responsible for themselves

What the hell do you mean guys like me? You don't even know me. You don't here me coming down on these people because I don't know them or have walked in their shoes and neither have you. Just a lot of accusations that they are not being responsible. Who are you to judge them?

What the hell do you mean guys like me? You don't even know me. You don't here me coming down on these people because I don't know them or have walked in their shoes and neither have you. Just a lot of accusations that they are not being responsible. Who are you to judge them?

They are not accusations that they are being irresponsible. Those are the facts.They irresponsibly CHOSE not to pay the fee for a service that they didn't think they were going to need. I don't have to knw them. I aslo don't have to know you to draw conclusions from your posts, similiar to you. You concluded I am heartless because I don't have a problem holding people accountable for their actions or inaction in this case. I conclude you are the type to turn a blind eye at actions and not hold people acountable.

They are not accusations that they are being irresponsible. Those are the facts.They irresponsibly CHOSE not to pay the fee for a service that they didn't think they were going to need. I don't have to knw them. I aslo don't have to know you to draw conclusions from your posts, similiar to you. You concluded I am heartless because I don't have a problem holding people accountable for their actions or inaction in this case. I conclude you are the type to turn a blind eye at actions and not hold people acountable.

Well my friend your conclusion is completely wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't be any further from the truth. You must know the old saying when you assume something? Like I said you don't know me. You just make a lot of assumptions and conclusions with no facts. Or should I say with incomplete information, if you think you get accurate news from the media think again.

As a 20+ year firefighter (both volunteer and career) and a volunteer Chief for 15 years, let me offer a little insite on what I know about these situations.

NYS requires towns, cities and villages to provide fire protection to properties contained within their political boundaries. It can be through a variety of different methods, and it is primarily supported by taxes levied against the property owners.

Not knowing all the specific's of this exact case (but using information I know from other cases similar to this one) look at the situation:

Property on fire is outside of any organized political subdivision, therefor it is NOT provided the luxury of organized fire protection. (and probably minimal taxes levied against said property)

The nearby city (or other political subdivision) has a fire department (either paid, volunteer or combination) and offers a "subscription fee" to provide coverage to properties in the unincorporated areas... owner's discretion, they know that if they need Fire Protection services, this payment insures it will happen, if not then the city FD can and like it this case refuse to provide services. I do however seem to recall that most departments in this situation will allow firefighters to provide life-saving measures only. (Yes the argument can be made that extinguishing the fire is a life-saving measure; but that's for another forum on another day)

There could be some legal grounds why they could not put out the fire.Say a fireman got hurt trying to put the fire out, they may not be covered by the insurance as there was not legal contract to be there to fight the fire in the first place.. Or maybe the trailers owners would try and sue for some stupid reason.

Good point. Because of these issues, mayor / fire chief / whoever has told firefighters that they cannot fire this fire, and if they do, they will face disciplinary actions, and possibly dismissal from their job. I remember reading about a case a few years ago where the crew responding extinguished a grass fire on a non-paying property using the context "it was threatening the neighboring house that was a paying property".. WRONG ANSWER; they were disciplined.

Hector, correct me if I am wrong but I think even the Volunteer departments in NY get some funding from the counties they are in. That way they all respond to each other in mutal aid conditions.

Not sure about other counties, but in Ontario County, we don't get money from the county for mutual aid to other departments.. . when we need help, they come and help us; when they need help, we go and help them; it's understood that the costs even out.

Between the Mayor and the Fire Department they must be morons. I don't know if I could sleep at night, LETTING something like that happen.

This is why I an so glad this is NOT the case in New York State. We may complain about some of the gun laws we deal with, but at least there are a few things NYS does right.