This is sick

Single_shot

This is sickening  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Let it burn

• yes
    • no

When I was deployed to the WTC, while in the Army, I didn't ask questions, or worry about fees. I solely concentrated on helping other Americans. That was my job. Don't get me wrong on this issue. I don't believe in entitlements. What I don't understand, is how someone can just stand by, and let it happen. Sorry, that's just not me.

On another note, I also disagree with these so-called "Occupiers", who I think are just asinine.

"There's no way to go to every fire and be able to keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," said South Fulton Mayor David Crocker.

But it was cost effective to send the fire department there to watch the place burn? Funny how the volunteer fire departments seem to be able to get manpower, equipment and get to every fire... must be a union thing..lol

Now, that's an interesting point. I agree 100%!

It wan'st the Town's fire department. It was the nearby city's fire department. That is like paying for a burger at MsDonalds and trying to pick it up at the Burger King drive through...lol. The town couldn't lean anything becasue they didn't provide the service

Sorry misread the story. Even so, the City could have levied against the house and if it wasn't paid the City could have taken the house away.

They had a fee to pay it was $75 and that is the end of the discussion. I am so sick and tired of hearing about people making stupid decisions that the rest of should have to pay for. It's terrible that they lost their home but at some point you have to be responsible for yourself. So what if they couldn't afford it? Find a way! Shovel driveways, pick produce, pump gas!! You do whatever it takes to be self sufficient. It was $75 - I am not going to make any sterotypical statements about what they spent their money on but I know that $75 is less than 2 tanks of gas, less than a few meals out, it's less than my cable bill. I dont think I am going to get hurt or sick but I pay for Long Term Disability insuarnce just in case I cant work for some reason. I dont expect some one to pay my way. I will get off my soap box now - but before I do I am also pissed off at all these "Occupiers". Bunch of whiney idiots with $150,000 in student loans with a degree in philosphy. Am I supposed to feel bad for some guy because he feels he is entitled to a BMW, a 4000 sq foot home, and a 2000 sq hunting lodge. My advice work hard - pay your bills, shut your mouth.

Screamon, I agree with you - work hard, pay your bills, and be self sufficient. But first responders are "first responders" for a reason - to protect life and property in emergency situations and then deal with the administrative BS later.

Sorry misread the story. Even so, the City could have levied against the house and if it wasn't paid the City could have taken the house away.

It was a trailer. thee is another one in the background and the article said the woman of the house watched from across the street. Leads me to believe possibly a park and wht would they have leined? Ever see a trailer go up? it really doesn't take that long and not much of a fire will total it.

I think as first responders they should have put it out. They probably had to respond even though they wouldn't fight it due to the adjoining property. (those folks probably paid their fee) The other article link says just that thing happened in the other fire

Screamon, I agree with you - work hard, pay your bills, and be self sufficient. But first responders are "first responders" for a reason - to protect life and property in emergency situations and then deal with the administrative BS later.

No doubt!! That goes without saying. Shady business indeed

I hear what your saying Culver. It's all a fine line, but when it comes to possible lives being lost they should put out the fire and not worry about any other issues. How were they sure, that there was no one trapped in the basement or elsewhere in the house? Maybe I missed something in the article, but I don't think firemen ever assume that there is NO one in jeopardy. It could have been a neighbors kid (whose family does pay all fees) playing in the basement with the owners kid and trapped. Things are not always so black and white. I think a lot of ethical issues involved here.

It was a single wide trailer. No basement. ;)

Wow, a few of the replies here lead me to believe some of you more uppety fellas feel that less fortunate folks don't deserve the same treatment you take for granted any given day. That's too bad.

I know quite a few folks that can't afford some of the luxuries mentioned here.., like your cable, 2 tanks of gas, or a couple meals away from home.

$75 to them may as well be a million, so in essence, they take a gamble with the money they don't have and hope they don't loose everything else they squeek by with.

I obviously don't know all the circumstances surrounding this family, but I would hope that if they are legitamately just a poor family with another obstacle to overcome, that some charitable organization or someone in a better position would lend a helping hand. Whether you live in a cardboard box or a multi million dollar mansion you stand a chance to loose it all by no choice of your own or even at the hands of someone elses doings.

I dare anyone hear to say you've got it all under control and it could never happen to you because you pay your bills,LMAO! Who's brave enough here to tempt fate and perhaps find themselves and their families in a tough spot for the holidays?

Plain and simple, this fee is a crock! Makes me wonder how many exceptions have been made, and who it's been waived for. Something tells me the boys at the department are all fat and happy or there would have at least been a garden hose running from the neighbors trailer.

Of course, this is all JMO!

Wooly, for me, its not about being uppity or thinking tough times couldnt happen to me. Ive been through tough times before and am sure that there are more to come. Its about responsibility on the home owner's part. $75 a year is not much at all, and if its a fee you have to pay, you figure it into your yearly/monthly bills. The article said that the people knew of the fee, but thought it would never happen to them. Thats irresponsible and it bit them in the ass.

Wow, a few of the replies here lead me to believe some of you more uppety fellas feel that less fortunate folks don't deserve the same treatment you take for granted any given day. That's too bad.

I know quite a few folks that can't afford some of the luxuries mentioned here.., like your cable, 2 tanks of gas, or a couple meals away from home.

$75 to them may as well be a million, so in essence, they take a gamble with the money they don't have and hope they don't loose everything else they squeek by with.

I obviously don't know all the circumstances surrounding this family, but I would hope that if they are legitamately just a poor family with another obstacle to overcome, that some charitable organization or someone in a better position would lend a helping hand. Whether you live in a cardboard box or a multi million dollar mansion you stand a chance to loose it all by no choice of your own or even at the hands of someone elses doings.

I dare anyone hear to say you've got it all under control and it could never happen to you because you pay your bills,LMAO! Who's brave enough here to tempt fate and perhaps find themselves and their families in a tough spot for the holidays?

Plain and simple, this fee is a crock! Makes me wonder how many exceptions have been made, and who it's been waived for. Something tells me the boys at the department are all fat and happy or there would have at least been a garden hose running from the neighbors trailer.

There is no such thing as just a "poor" family in NYS. This state (and your paycheck) subsidize damn near anyone and everyone who puts their hand out. The only people I could say have reason to claim to be poor are the folks living on the street. And for those folks I help out any time I can. There is such a sense of entitlement in this country it is sickening. What if they didn't buy car insurance becasue "they didnt think they would ever need it" then they ran into you totalling your vehicle? Would you happily pay to replace your own car because these folks are less fortunate?

I have seen first class what poverty looks like. Take a drive around some trailer parks or projects. You are going to see Xbox 360's, 60 inch LED, Surround Sound, new applicances, ipads, ipods, etc, etc, etc. That's your hard earned dollar at work. I beg you to go around the ferw days following xmas and take a look a the empty boxes going in the garbage.

Ok, all you people that are jumping on people saying to bad they did not pay the $75. Well right here on my County Property taxes I pay for fire protection here is a break down on just 3 of my parcels of properties. This is one reason taxes are less in the south as they do not include the fire protection in your taxes.I pay $250 just for fire protection a year. So $75 looks like a bargain to me.In NY aleast everyone who pays county property taxes pays for fire protection. You don't pay your taxes for 3 years they take you property.

Parcel 1 - 104.00 this has a house and garage

Parcel 2 - 48.00 - 80 acres of farm land and woods

Parcel 3 - 99.00 - 105 acres of farm land woods

Do you know that DSS pays for moving truck (U-Hauls) to move familys to new house of apartment that we are already paying for.They also will pay to moce you to another state or to move back to NYS, plus the gas that the truck uses.

Edited by HectorBuckBuster

I didn't read any mention of kids...and those are the ones my heart bleeds for. Sounded like a woman and her boyfriend living there. I know this is only one case and many instances could be different, but!!. If I told my 16yo daughter that in two months she HAD TO HAVE $75 there are dozens of ways she could earn it. I really feel this was a choice to not have the coverage. Truely poor and less fortunate folks I feel for. Lazy ...I have nothing but contempt.

Ok, all you people that are jumping on people saying to bad they did not pay the $75. Well right here on my County Property taxes I pay for fire protection here is a break down on just 3 of my parcels of properties. This is one reason taxes are less in the south as they do not include the fire protection in your taxes.I pay $250 just for fire protection a year. So $75 looks like a bargain to me.In NY aleast everyone who pays county property taxes pays for fire protection. You don't pay your taxes for 3 years they take you property.

Do you know that DSS pays for moving truck (U-Hauls) to move familys to new house of apartment that we are already paying for.They also will pay to moce you to another state or to move back to NYS, plus the gas that the truck uses.

I am not following you. which opinion are you supporting?

It was in TN, and things are 100% completely different down there. You cannot compare this situation with the nanny state of NY.

You still need funds to run a volunteer fire department and volunteers to provide the service.

Here is a idea. If the people in TN wanted to have universal fire protection, they should vote to create tax paid fire districts which can either contract with the local community or put together their own fire service with buildings and engines and people (paid and/or volunteer). It works all around the country. People who choose this don't have to remember or decide to pay their subscription fee, they pay with their property taxes and if someone fails to pay their property taxes, they still get protected but the county files a tax lien on the property for unpaid taxes.

Wow! That's all you pay? Down here, your average yearly tax base, on a house alone, is at least $4000. You're kidding, right?

Culvercreek; about 10 years ago I was 5 years active VFD where I lived. There was various funding, maybe it was grants I can't remember. For instance when the new firehouse was built, or equipment for the new alert pagers etc. And yes there was alot of mutual aid. Neigboring dept's would 'move-up' and cover calls if your trucks were out. Also back-ups for manpower durring the day etc. Onondoga Co. VFD's surrounding the Syracuse area are alot more active then some may think. One year my dept went out on about 900 calls, plenty of signal 80/79's (vehicle accidents) so we did alot of extracation drills with the jaws etc. Might sound alittle morbid but i kind of miss doing that.