Getting started

Caveman

depends on what you want to spend you can get a cva optima some blackhorn 209 powder it burns very clean , or you can go the smokeless route the only smokeless production gun is a savage 10ml which i use and i practice out to 300 yards let me know the route you want to go i will help all i can

I'm heading to BassPro sometime soon to get a ML for myself. Going with the traditions buckstalker redi-pack comes with everything you need to get started except for powder and primers for like 180.  Thats the route im going anyways, if I get it anytime soon I'll let you know how it shoots.

CNY

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into muzzle loading so I can get a little more accuracy in gun season.  The problem is I don't know a thing about it.  What will I need to get started and what tips do you all have for a beginner?

My question is what do you mean by a little more accuracy in gun season?  Lots of rifles and shotguns out there that will be more than accurate enough to put a deer down.  You don't need a muzzleloader for hunting accuracy. 

If you still want a muzzleloader, there are lots of goods ones for not too much money.  If you go to the CVA website, http://www.cva.com/, they have a bunch of videos that show you step by step how to shoot one and maintain one.  Not very hard at all.  I only bought one several years ago and it was a snap to get it shooting.

CVA's are fine, but don't just limit yourself to them.There are plenty of good used ones out there too or new ones like TC,Traditions,Remington or Whites..BUT please make sure to read all owners manuals before using.

Once you get one,I am sure one of us can help you with powder,primers,bullets,and scopes if you choose.

Muzzle loading is a great sport,you will enjoy it.

Steve

the first thing you need is some training. It isnt as easy as grab a gun, stuff a couple pellets in it and stuff the latest fad bulllet on top of it.  There is no need to get the most expensive gun that is manufactured.  However do some research and see who is happy with what.  I would also look at who has a good warranty with their equipment.  As stated, if you are looking to improve accuracy during gun season, look into a better shotgun or rifle.  It take a lot of time to work up a load for a muzzleoader to make them shoot very well.  I would never use pellets as loose powder will certainly allow you to work up a load with small grain increments up or down.  I have been working with an encore barrel this summer.  Yesterday with th eload I worked up at 100 yards I had 4 bullets touching from the bench.  That is accuracy.  However I spent a lot of time working up the load that barrel loves.  Hitting a pie plate at 100 is not good enough for me.  Hitting the bullseye 4 times in the same place is.  I would recommend a CVA Optima or tc omega if you want a dedicated good shooting muzzleloader.  Avoid all the fads. I mold my own bullets and use loose powder.  When my eyes were better, I could do the same accuracy with my t/c hawken at 100 yards with ptched round balls.  I have been muzzleloading for 35 years or so, long before it was the in thing to do.  One shot, one kill.