a good day in Westchester

Birdhunter

Drove down from Dutchess this morning to hunt one of my spots in northern westchester with one of my hunting buddies. I blew out some turkeys on their roost on the walk in to where I was going to climb, and after I got up in the tree and things settled, the few remaining ones flew down and started clucking to each other.

Off to my left I see two coyotes come scampering down the hill towords them. I drew back at one at 20 yds. but he wouldn't stop, even with a "mouth kiss". It was amazing to watch him stalk the turkeys by walking on top of a rock wall, instead of walking in the leaves. The turkeys spotted him and flew off, so no breakfast for him!

A little later my buddy texts me and says that deer are headed my way. I finally spot them downwind of me at 40-50 yds. and they are not wanting to go any further. They jump across a stone wall and I realize that there were 4-5 does and/or yearlings being chased by a half-racked 6 pt. I did not get a shot opportunity, but it was a great encounter.

About an hour later, my buddy tells me that he shot a doe from a group of 3-4. As I am texting him congratulations, I look up and spot another group of does coming from another direction and I was able to shoot one of the mature does.