Anybody hunt with Vortex scopes?

chiefbkt

I own a handful of Leupold scopes and love them all for two main reasons, made in USA and they have a lifetime warranty. Watching a hunting show the other day I noticed they were using Vortex riflescopes and binoculars. I did some research on the internet and was impressed with what I found. They are made in USA and offer a transferable lifetime warranty. Same as what Leupold offers on their products. The main difference, price. The Vortex scopes are priced 10-60% lower than the Leupolds for similar models. Are they as good or better than Leupold? I am just looking for a little user feedback before I go out and purchase one to try myself.

Yep, I've had one for a few years now, and I won't buy anything else. I've compared it side by side with comparable Leupolds and Its just as good. I am actually getting ready to buy another one, the Viper HS. I have found the best prices on them at www.swfa.com they carry a lot of the discontinued models at great prices.

If you were closer to me I would gladly let you take a peek at it.

• 9 months later...

I have one. 2-7x32 i think. awesome scope. Mounted on a Mossberg 12 gauge. I shot my first buck with that combo last year (in avatar). When i started hunting 2 years ago, i leaned my gun against a tree when i was pissing and it slid over and smacked a big rick right on the scope. The scope was a nick on it but i shot it the next day and it didn't move a bit. Tough and very very clear. I'd buy another.

They are made in USA and offer a transferable lifetime warranty.

My brother has a pair of the Vortex Viper binos and they are super nice and they offer the best warranty around. If they break for whatever reason (dropped down a cliff, ran over with your truck, etc.) they will replace them. However, they are not made in the USA. Last I checked the lower end ones were made in China, mid-grade in the Philippines and the higher end ones were made in Japan.

• Like 1

My brother has a pair of the Vortex Viper binos and they are super nice and they offer the best warranty around. If they break for whatever reason (dropped down a cliff, ran over with your truck, etc.) they will replace them. However, they are not made in the USA. Last I checked the lower end ones were made in China, mid-grade in the Philippines and the higher end ones were made in Japan.

You are right, they are based in the US and outsource to Japan.

Since we can hunt with rifle here in Cayuga county now, I ended up getting the Viper 4-12 x 40 at swfa.com for $369.99 plus shipping. Ended up saving over $150 over a similar model in Leupold. I would bet a large amount of money that if you put this scope and a Leupold side by side with no identifying markings on them, and asked people to look through and identify which was which, they would assume the Vortex is a Leupold. It is that nice. You get a really good bang for your buck, really good. I love my Leupold's, but may have found a new favorite scope.

But if you were to buy a comparable scope in a Leupold, etc, youd pay alot more.

You said a mouthful. There is no comparable scope at that price range. Relatively speaking a PST is a very reasonably priced scope for what you get. I also have a 2 x 7 as mentioned and it is another great scope. They are definately worth the money, I just meant that I am no millionaire so 600 bucks hurts a little so the only thing that would have made the scope better is that it was free!!!!