CVA buckhorn

Hunterny28

who here owns or has expiernce with a cva buck horn. I am looking for a muzzle loader to get my father for his birthday. He probally won't use it much, just the last weekend of SZ ML. I think this is a pretty cheap way to get him into it and he can go from there is he likes it.

I do like the design of the CVA wolf and break open action and removable breech. This is along the lines of my traditions buckstalker. do you think these are a decent gun or should I spend a few extra bucks and and go with the wolf? thanks

I know someone who owns a buckhorn and my nephew used it this past season.There is nothing wrong with the gun however a cap tool is worth having as the cap can be difficult to load.We dropped 3 caps on the ground in the snow trying to load before I got a pair of needle nose pliars out.The design may be different now I don't know.I think the buckhorn is a great first ML.

I know someone who owns a buckhorn and my nephew used it this past season.There is nothing wrong with the gun however a cap tool is worth having as the cap can be difficult to load.We dropped 3 caps on the ground in the snow trying to load before I got a pair of needle nose pliars out.The design may be different now I don't know.I think the buckhorn is a great first ML.

this was one of my worries also. one the cap is in, does it usually stay in there pretty good or does it fall out? I don't want him to be fussing with caps instead of hunting!

Sorry I didn't check back here until today.As far as I remember the cap is fine once loaded.It was only tricky because the cap sits down inside the gun so you are trying to push it forward while it is down inside of the action if that is the right term.I had no problem putting the cap in with the pliars I used.It was also about 12 degress out that morning which didn't help.My cousin mentioned a capping tool that can be purchased that makes loading easier.

Sorry I didn't check back here until today.As far as I remember the cap is fine once loaded.It was only tricky because the cap sits down inside the gun so you are trying to push it forward while it is down inside of the action if that is the right term.I had no problem putting the cap in with the pliars I used.It was also about 12 degress out that morning which didn't help.My cousin mentioned a capping tool that can be purchased that makes loading easier.

thanks for getting back to me. I will look into the capping tool you are talking about. I can imagine fumbling around with a little primer in the cold is fun! I bought the gun for him and waiting to give it to him for his birthday! looks like some time on the range is in order

The gun should have come with a caping tool. Its a little black plastic thingy with a slot cut out on one or both ends.

It did come with that and not sure what it was. Makes some more sense now. Thanks for the help!

I would just go with the Wolf. It's one of the best value vs. performance mz out there imo.

Phade- I already bought the buckhorn for him which wich will be just fine for what he needs it for. I do agree that the wolf is a great ML that will be using it all the time. he will just be using it a few days during late ML season.

• 8 months later...