Stewart State Land A Total Bust For Bunnies

Well, decided I needed a change of scenery, so I tried Stewart today. What a waste of time for rabbits. Tore myself to pieces, and covered many, many acres, and couldn't find one rabbit. The dogs must have done a number on them. I mean there was NOTHING when it came to rabbits. Squirrels, on the other hand, was a different story. While I didn't shoot any, there is one spot over there that is literally loaded with squirrels. I must have seen around 50 squirrels chasing each other in this one spot. Saw a few red squirrels also. Anybody on here that's pretty local to me that hunts and eats squirrel? Maybe we can hook up, so that I can show you this hotspot. I've never seen so many in my life. I must have seen a good 60 squirrels at least over there.

Was it crowded there? Did you see any yotes signs?

Nope. No coyote sign. It was crowded as usual, but I got there at first light. Couldn't find a rabbit than to save my life. But, boy, there were no shortage of squirrels!

was there today lots of people with dogs hunting rabbits and birds i think . we went looking for antlers . covered alot of land looking but only came out with a hip bone ( my daughter found it said it was an antler from a moose ) . i didnt have the heart to tell her lol . only good thing today was no ticks . yeah . hunting season there were hundreds out . hate those things.

Haven't been to Stewart since gun season started. My only complain against Stewart is that I prefer the 22 on squirrels. I always see a couple of squirrels when I go there but 50-60? Never seen that many ever. When's the next time you're going 13BVET?

I kid you not guys. This one spot over there is loaded with greys. I don't know if it's a matter of nobody hunting them, or what, but I hit 2 different spots, and in both spots, I saw nice greys. One particular spot, though, was overwhelmed with them. I had the .410 single shot, which isgreat for those, but I really don't eat them, so I didn't shoot any. What days are good for you guys? I know I'm definitely going over again this week, but it has to be early, or you can't get a spot. Shawn, are you good with your license?

Elmo,

There are a few spots outside of the 3 main parking areas outside the Forest. I believe he is referring to one of these. These spots only accomodate one vehicle, so that's why we should plan an organized trip over there. It'll be fun, and I'll be looking forward to meeting some local small game hunters.

Shawn

Elmo,

There are a few spots outside of the 3 main parking areas outside the Forest. I believe he is referring to one of these. These spots only accomodate one vehicle, so that's why we should plan an organized trip over there. It'll be fun, and I'll be looking forward to meeting some local small game hunters.

Shawn

is that a shotgun area or can you use a 22?

Elmo,

Shawn

Ok. I thought he was referring to the lot system that Stewart has. They only allow one car per hunting zone/lot. Will coordinate when we get closer to the weekend.

Dave - Yes, Stewart is shotgun only. No 22s.

Elmo,

The inner road system at Stewart is currently closed, so there will be no vehicle entry unless you are authorized. Most of us will be parking outside, and walking in. Some spots in the Forest does accomodate for more than 1 vehicle, depending on the spot.

Dave,

No rifles allowed in this State Forest, but shotguns, airguns, and bows are allowed. I am not sure if handguns and crossbows are allowed or not.