Grouse?

I didnt know you could hunt grouse with dogs effectivly. I thought they are too spooky and before the dog got a point on them it would take off. How does this work? Very intresting.

A good Grouse dog will learn how close to be to avoid bumping the bird and how to check cover. Some dogs are great open field runners and others are great thick cover close workers. Depends on the dog.

I went to Partridge Run for New Year weekend and the weekend before that and we covered a lot of ground but I did not see any. I did hear one. Talked to a couple of people I met in there and they had not seen any this year. Thats all the hunting I have been able to do this season.

mm

I went to Partridge Run for New Year weekend and the weekend before that and we covered a lot of ground but I did not see any. I did hear one. Talked to a couple of people I met in there and they had not seen any this year. Thats all the hunting I have been able to do this season.

mm

Partridge Run is like that. One of my favorite places for grouse hunting. But it's a bug area, you can cover a lot of ground for nothing. I just hit the coverts that I've discovered there over the years. Hint, the new growth aspen stands can be very productive.

We put up four on Sunday, two way out in front of us and then one we bumped. The forth we spotted on the ground close by and I tried to get the dog on it, ofcourse when he pointed he was close and the bird flew right away up into a tree above our heads. It was a funny sight watching my brother trying to scare the bird out of the tree with a dead tree branch. Conditions were less than ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

I didnt know you could hunt grouse with dogs effectivly. I thought they are too spooky and before the dog got a point on them it would take off. How does this work? Very intresting.

Tell that to my GSP ! Not to sound like I am picking on you . It is a fair question you ask. When you work a dog on grouse like any other trick we may try & teach them they learn what works & a good grouse dog is fun to work with.

Has anyone gone out recently? Im thinking of going this weekend. Dont know where to go really, hopefully I catch something

We get out most everyday . For me archery deer hunting used to be my passion now it's become grouse hunting with my GSP. It says Brooklyn as your location. I would head to the catskill's . Check computer for WMA's & go from there or knock on doors & ask permission. Small game hunting is pretty easy to get permission.especially grouse.( people think were nut's for hunting them .

The drive i dont mind. How many do you catch? post some pictures might motivate me more to get out there, heheh.

Honestly for me it's not about how many I "catch" it's spending time in the woods with my dog & watching him learn & work. The first couple birds you take pictures of. Probably because your so proud of the pup. Though we still get out most days no more gun for this season. We just go through the motions .

• 11 months later...

Chrismgon where by cherry ridge? Went there and all I saw was one woodcock.... been going there for last couple of years but just don't seem to see any..

Hey, chrismgon was my old account fyi. If you drive up North 206 (county road 7) from Roscoe, then make a left on Jug Hill Tavern Road. Both Campbell Mountain rd and Campbell brooke rd have parking areas. I do not remember which one I was in but I parked, started hiking around scouting for deer and remember pushing 3 grouse not far from the road along a stream. Best places to find them are along streams. I usually just walk along streams and eventually will get a heartattack when one flies up :)

Check out google maps for a better view on my directions.

I am chrismgon aka Posted Boy Gallego.

I bumped into regular grouse hunters at the spot while I was scouting for deer. I have never been grouse hunting there though. Just because I saw 3 one day does not mean you will see more or less so please keep that in mind.

I attached a screenshot of the google maps. IF you go West on 17, you reach Roscoe Exit 94, Then make a left at the exit and go straight past the light. This is 206 or County road 7 (goes by both names). Before you get to the Pepacton Reservoir, there is Jug Tavern Rd. You make a left on it and then follow to the Campbell Rd's. Both have parking areas. Both would be great places to step out and take walks along streams.

Hope this helps.

post-1993-0-80408800-1358827715_thumb.pn