Aging your harvest

XGX7PM

My harvest from yesterday is hanging from a tree and the temps are fine to leave it out until tomorrow when ł can cut it up. 

In the past my harvest has been snowed on and ł never thought twice about it. 

What about rain, bacteria concerns etc?

From the standpoint of a science major, bacteria and other things of that nature love moisture and some can even grow in cold temperatures as seen by moldy food in the fridge. The way I understand aging your harvest is cold and dry is the best case, you create a rind that seals in moisture and protects from bacteria or other nasty "bugs". That being said if you leave the hide on, which was the deers protection from all the elements, you should be pretty safe as long as you're not doing much contamination from the hide to the meat. Id say you should be fine (in the opinion of a 21 year old science major still in undergrad. so not an expert). The temperatures are low 40s at maximum which is normal fridge temperatures and probably even colder than that depending where you are. Cooking should kill anything too nasty that may have found its way in there. I would stay away from any tar-tar or raw dishes you could make with this deer to be on the safe side. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fr0styk1ng said:

From the standpoint of a science major, bacteria and other things of that nature love moisture and some can even grow in cold temperatures as seen by moldy food in the fridge. The way I understand aging your harvest is cold and dry is the best case, you create a rind that seals in moisture and protects from bacteria or other nasty "bugs". That being said if you leave the hide on, which was the deers protection from all the elements, you should be pretty safe as long as you're not doing much contamination from the hide to the meat. Id say you should be fine (in the opinion of a 21 year old science major still in undergrad. so not an expert). The temperatures are low 40s at maximum which is normal fridge temperatures and probably even colder than that depending where you are. Cooking should kill anything too nasty that may have found its way in there. I would stay away from any tar-tar or raw dishes you could make with this deer to be on the safe side. 

My thoughts are in line with that, the hide is still on. Clean knife and deep freeze will follow.

1 minute ago, XGX7PM said:

My thoughts are in line with that, the hide is still on. Clean knife and deep freeze will follow.

Back home in Texas on cold dry days ive seen people go as far as gutted and de-hided being left out over night. You could see the rind on it in the morning and the cutting they said was "easier". 

Ideally you want the rigor mortis to subside. My buck from opening day has been hanging since today when i butchered him. Temps were perfect. My bow buck got processed the next day because temps were not ideal and i had to get it done. Keeping meat in the freezer also ages it some.