Vanes or Feathers

ballbusta

I have been shooting feathers ( right helical) ever since i started bowhunting and i have very good accuracy with this setup the only problem is when it rains. I was looking to set up some arrows with vanes for rainy days . Is there any major difference shoot vanes or feathers I should know about?

I have been shooting feathers ( right helical) ever since i started bowhunting and i have very good accuracy with this setup the only problem is when it rains. I was looking to set up some arrows with vanes for rainy days . Is there any major difference shoot vanes or feathers I should know about?

I have shot both and the only difference is what you have already discovered ....... Get the feathers wet and you can have a mess.

A lot can have to do with the rest that you use and how well your bow is tuned. Feathers have a lot more forgiveness of slight interferences. Vanes do not like that sort of thing at all.

Doc

First question is compound or traditional.  If you are shooting tradtional vanes are a no go.  They kick the arrow pretty good.  I myself shoot feathers when it is raining I hold my hand over the feather to keep them dry (I never bow hunt in hard rain.)  I also have a cat quiver that keeps them dry when not on the bow.  I sometime will just leave them in there and grab them when needed.  Lots of extra motion though.  If you go to 3rivers archery and search feather dust.  You should find a powder that they clam is sentless and will keep your feathers dry.  I know of people using the stuff to keep your tent dry also on feathers they say it works great.  Only problem is you have to coat them way in advance then let them sit around and desmell.  It isn't a quick fix if you don't have any ready just before you go out to hunt.

I have shot both out of my compounds and conventional bows,I keep on picking up the ones with feathers.I have very few with vains left only on my alum. arrows,I shoot mostly carbon arrows.I have been using for the last 10 years,I thing it is a form of silicone sold by Astko or the people that sell Sno Seal.I have coated them once and let them sit for a week before using ,no odor after.and never got soaked with water.It has to add a fraction of weight to the feathers,but as stated on another post I use 125 grain broadheads.It is energy that counts not speed.   

No it is a liquid that they sell,it is clear,it comes in a 4 fluid oz.plastic bottle with a metal cap and ball shaped applicator inside,it smells at first but the odor goes away.

It is there Silicone Water - Guard,Water and Stain Repellent. ITEM #1337 At. ATSKO,INC

Got that right off of the bottle I have. I would go to there website and see if they still sell it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had a problem with feathers.I use this stuff-

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Waterproofing-Powder/productinfo/9201/

I also just put a plastic bag over them sometimes.Thing is folks overlook the fact that vanes are also affected by the weather.When temps drop they stiffen and get more flexible in hot weather.Truth is vanes have more drawbacks in the long run.Feathers always shoot the same.

Shooting off the shelf and traditional. I've always shot feathers. Plastic vanes are an abomination to me anyway!  :D  But I have found that scotchguard works pretty good on keeping feathers dry, even in steady rain. SAnymore I also use a fleece hood on my quiver for rainy or snowy days.