Management Plans

Ya sure its no where near being done yet this hunting season is going to be our trial run to see how many of our neighbors are on board and serious about it.  After the season we'll go back through and age all of the jaws and look at the data we've collected and set things up for a 3-5 yr plan the following seasons.  Reaccess occordingly based off of harvest data after those 3-5 year plan. 

Here is some advice on drafting a management plan:

Keep it fun, be realistic, what's your goal(deer or timber value or both), need a deer census(trail cams work best), record all harvest(weight, age gender etc.) to help support your plan, what's lacking on your land(cover, hardmast, softmast, footplots, cover, water) short term goals get you to long term, how you plan on hunting the land.  this will get you started.  remember keep it fun!

ya I plan on trying to something like big buck contest....helps people passing little ones I hope lol and a biggest doe contest to encourage doe harvest I think little things like that will make it fun and keep participation levels up I don't know how its going to work but were going to give a try. 

• 2 years later...

How did this ever work out for u? Do u think it is successful? Was going to start a new post, but seen this one, so why not. We've been, so called QDM, the property for 12 years. We have succeeded in what we set out to do, at lease we'd like to think so. Where to go from here?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

ya I plan on trying to something like big buck contest....helps people passing little ones I hope lol and a biggest doe contest to encourage doe harvest I think little things like that will make it fun and keep participation levels up I don't know how its going to work but were going to give a try.

Plan sounds cool, good luck with it hopefully it works out.

I envie your ability to get along with your neighbors and all be on the same page. I hunt only 30 acres and every one around me is if its brown its down. That being said the recent issue of Deer and Deer hunting (magazine and tv show) had a topic by Charles Alscheimer about realistic deer management plans.

The short of it was that after years of shooting for 150 class bucks (in central new york) with cooperative of neightbors controlling 750 acres thay goals were never met after 6 years of trying. Now i dont know Charlie of if he is even a great land steward with food plots or TSM etc but the end result is was they lowered their standards to 3.5 yr old b/c of too many bucks roaming during the rut off the 750 acres and getting shot.

His reevaluated goals were for the top 10% of the bucks on the property. One year that could be a 125 3 year old the next year it could be a 4 yr old.

Just some food for thought. And good luck.

A successful plan is contingent upon good habitat. Look at the entire ecosystem and not just the deer as nature is complex and very dynamic. I worked with the DEC Forester on a forest stewardship plan and recently retained a private forester to take the plan to the next level which includes improving habitat for wildlife. Have fun, get professional advice and stay for the long run.