Backyard Clover Plot

Looking to enhance part (1/4-1/2 acre) of my backyard a bit to have it double as a foodplot. I'm not going to be tearing the yard up, just frost seeding to add clover. I have several small trees in the backyard that will prevent it from getting full sun. From what I've been reading, I'm leaning towards a mix of Durana and Patriot, because they're suppose to be more of a low growing clover and more shade tolerant, which will be good for the yard. I also read that they're pretty aggressive with choking out grass and weeds. If the deer and turkeys help limit my mowing, that'll be a win-win too! B) Any experience with Durana or Patriot clovers or are they not worth the hype? Any other clovers that I should consider? 

• Like 1

Old fashioned Dutch white clover is pretty good.  It grows low and stands up to drought.  The more it is mowed/grazed, the more it blossoms.  I don't know alot about the newer clovers.  I believe some of them establish very quickly.  

I think your plan makes good sense.  I would recommend a blend.  Also, if using a bag spreader, I would mix your clover seed with pelletized lime.  It's good for the soil and it will help you spread the seed more evenly.  

Congrats on the new place and good luck!

• Like 1

All clovers will do a good job choking out competition once it creates a "mat" if you will. I wouldn't over-think this. Getting there is the hard part and I don't think one clover over the other will be a difference in terms of that characteristic. 

For it to be weed-free, you'll need to invest in mowing and grass/broadleaf herbicides strategy. I'd imagine with it being a backyard, having a magazine worthy plot is probably more of a factor than for actual hunting purposes.

Honestly, I'd probably do a healthy mix of red and white clovers to extend the attraction timeframe if you will. Monoculture or two cultures seems to just be more limiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

All clovers will do a good job choking out competition once it creates a "mat" if you will. I wouldn't over-think this. Getting there is the hard part and I don't think one clover over the other will be a difference in terms of that characteristic. 

For it to be weed-free, you'll need to invest in mowing and grass/broadleaf herbicides strategy. I'd imagine with it being a backyard, having a magazine worthy plot is probably more of a factor than for actual hunting purposes.

Honestly, I'd probably do a healthy mix of red and white clovers to extend the attraction timeframe if you will. Monoculture or two cultures seems to just be more limiting.

What I have observed is that deer tend to hit red clover mixes in spring summer and then favor white clover in fall and even dig it up from light snow.

• Like 1