Pistol

critter

I remember reading an article years ago in the Sports Afield Hunting Annual, which was published once a year...It was a GREAT BIG magazine..I'm sure some of the oldtimers here remember it.

Can't remember the exact year, but it was around 1960...

Some dude had an article in it about hunting big game with a handgun. he was shooting a Colt Python in .357 with a 6" barrel. He killed all kinds of stuff with it, up to and including mountain goats and sheep..

Used within it's limitations, it will certainly do the trick.

However there are quite a few other chamberings available nowadays that will do it with less margin for error..

Nice.......

Open sights or scope?

Do you handload for it, if so, what bullet/powder??

Thanks. Maybe the OP can get some tips from you??

No time to reload fancy finiky stuff. I look for consistant factory loads. Belive it or not im using cci 158 gr jhp. Consistancy is the key to accuracy, accuracy is the key to a clean kill. I have shot a lot of dear over the years and found that a deer will run every time you take a lung shot, but they don't go far before they drop. I have had contenders with a scope, ruger revolvers scoped and not. Im left with one revolver S&W 686 open sites. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

I use a Fusion Firearms 1911 longslide in 10mm. BUT, I reload and I only use it as a backup in case my shotty jams or if I'm hunting with my ML during gun season I take it along in case I need a follow-up. I have killed a friend's shotgun-wounded deer with it, but otherwise haven't had to use it. Except for that damn coyote I missed with it last week. :-(

Zhe Wiz

I use a Fusion Firearms 1911 longslide in 10mm. BUT, I reload and I only use it as a backup in case my shotty jams or if I'm hunting with my ML during gun season I take it along in case I need a follow-up. I have killed a friend's shotgun-wounded deer with it, but otherwise haven't had to use it. Except for that damn coyote I missed with it last week. :-(

Zhe Wiz

Not for you mr. Zhe Wiz, but for the others new to muzzle loader rules in NYS.

Do not carry a pistol as a backup during ML season. That is not permitted. During gun season, it is fine. Hate being "that guy," but thought it would be good for some of the new ML hunters out there.

Zhe Wiz

That is a really interesting backup piece by the way...

I’m in the market for my first handgun, I want one that I can use for big game and would like your input on what caliber to get any and all input is appreciated.

I would get a 44. Ruger or S&W. if you are looking for a revolver. It is pretty much the all around whitetail round for revolvers. And plenty of ammo to choose from.

I’m in the market for my first handgun, I want one that I can use for big game and would like your input on what caliber to get any and all input is appreciated.

these are my hunting handguns, I mainly hunt flintlock but when using a modern gun it will be a handgun, I hunt everything from squirrels to elk with these guns.

a 22 semi, like the scoped buckmark is excellent for everything small game.

the bearcat is a nice trapline gun, that one i punched out to 22 mag, you can shoot 22 short to 22 mag in it, most 22 mags depending on the firing pin will fire a 22 lr short or shot well enough for occassional use

the ruger single six is a good gun to hunt with but revolvers are difficult to shoot well unless the grips git your hands perfectly, experiment with grips rubber and wood til you find the ones that work best for you.

the 44 mag is my deer bear moose elk gun, it shoots my handloads into 4" offhand out to 75 yards which is my max range for that round, while everyone "knows" the 44 mag "is the most powerful handgun in the world" (wasnt even true when that movie came out in reality, anyway, it is about half the power of a 30-30 which almost everyone under 50 today regards as a popgun.

for all around shooting I recommend a 357 magnum, it has plenty of power with the right bullets to hunt whitetails and all north east game.

the recoil is almsot nil, half that of the 44 mag in the same gun configuration, and you can shoot cheap 38 specials in it for plinking, small game etc.

the best hunting handgun i ever used was a taurus 6" 357 mag that I scoped with a 2.5power bushnell LER, the package was excellent for deer hunting out to 100 yards and I took hundereds of woodchucks, crows, fox, coyotes and other small game with it.

I traded it for something I couldnt live without and regret it ever since.

if you are up this way give a yell we can step out the backyard and shoot them all and see what tickles your fancy.

P1050016.jpg

DAMN, Guides...You are a virtual DIRTY HARRY..!!

Very impressive handgun kills...Nice muley, BTW... I would be proud of him with a rifle..

Where did you get your handgun moose ?...

Years ago I worked with an old feller that had taken a couple of caribou and a moose in Alaska with his Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.

vermont and maine, not sure which one that is, i only ever drew two bull tags here in teh US East, rest were cows and i used the flintlocks, others were in canada and no handguns there, real pain in the butt,

that pike was my 8 year old great nephews first pike with a 22 magnum last day of the season last hour of legal time, kid missed untold hundreds before getting that one. its harder than it seems it would be. we target barely legal fish the big spawners are passed over, plus i love pike on the fly too much to shoot a 50 incher with a gun

we have fish shooting seasons here for pike and pickerel, march 25th to may 25th i think? something like that.spears and guns only, no bows or spearfishing.