Pistol

critter

Your FIRST handgun?

And you want to start with a gun for deer/bear?

Price range?

Recoil tolerance?

Scope?

Revolver, semi auto, break action or bolt action?

Hold on, have you shot a handgun much?

Ah heck, buy a .22 semi auto or revolver, shoot a couple thousand rounds this summer and have fun!! Learn and get some experience.

A handgun for big game hunting should be a .41 mag or larger, in my opinion. The .44 mag is the round I prefer. I think a revolver, with at least a 6" barrel, is the best choice, and I like Ruger guns. Prices are reasonable and they are accurate.

If you've never fired a .41 or .44 mag, you will need lots of practice before you go hunting. If you can't hit a paper plate at 50 yards every shot, you ain't ready to hunt with it. If you can hit that plate every shot with open sights, you don't need a scope.

If you want to shoot out to 100 yards, you have to hit that plate every time at that range. You may need to add a scope to do that. A lot of Ruger revolvers come with a set of scope rings and grooves on the rib to make adding a scope real easy.

That's were I would start if I were getting a handgun for big game hunting. A handgun for personal protection, CCW, or any other purpose, would be a whole different choice.

Whatever caliber I buy I am not going to attempt to use for hunting until I am comfortable with shooting it and know that I can put a clean kill shot on whatever I am aiming at, as far as the gun I would like a revolver, either single or double action

I would get a Thompson Center Encore and get it in any caliber from .243 and up. My personal preference for deer is .260 Remington. Not a ton of recoil and plenty of range. Only downfall would be lack of factory ammo. Next on my list would be .308, plenty of factory ammo, but a bit more recoil than .260 (which is actually a necked down .308). Pop a nice scope on top and youve got a handgun that will out perform any shotgun on the market, and you can take it anywhere that isnt bow only.

A handgun for big game hunting should be a .41 mag or larger, in my opinion. The .44 mag is the round I prefer. I think a revolver, with at least a 6" barrel, is the best choice, and I like Ruger guns. Prices are reasonable and they are accurate.

If you've never fired a .41 or .44 mag, you will need lots of practice before you go hunting. If you can't hit a paper plate at 50 yards every shot, you ain't ready to hunt with it. If you can hit that plate every shot with open sights, you don't need a scope.

If you want to shoot out to 100 yards, you have to hit that plate every time at that range. You may need to add a scope to do that. A lot of Ruger revolvers come with a set of scope rings and grooves on the rib to make adding a scope real easy.

That's were I would start if I were getting a handgun for big game hunting. A handgun for personal protection, CCW, or any other purpose, would be a whole different choice.

thanks for the info, the only reason i would ever want a handgun is for sport not personal protection i realy like revolvers, i have a 22/22mag i plink around with alredy but i would like to take a white tail with a hand gun someday.

A pistol is like a rifle or shotgun. everyone out there will kill a deer. limited by shot placement and effective range. I will be carrying my .357 this year in the hopes of taking a deer with it. This will be a secondary wepon though.

I will be purchasing a set of grips and a barrel for my encore and I am leaning towars the 7-30 Walthers. (30-30 necked down to 7mm)

I am debating on the brake part. would make it easier to practice. I wonder how much you give up having a brake?

A firearm with a muzzle brake does not give up anything significant from a ballistic standpoint.

The brake will reduce recoil to some extent, but will also INCREASE muzzle blast significantly. Even a rifle with a brake is loud as hell..

Those short barrels are loud enough WITHOUT a brake, in my opinion. Wear hearing protection...