Hinckley state forest history info

Whitetailhobo

I’ve spent a few hours wandering properties public and private in the town of Russia and towns of Poland .  About 10 years ago I had spent quite a few days hunting out in the Hinckley state forest area . set on a hill just above the Hinckley reservoir . So as you travel the access roads ,through this state land I’ve noticed quite a few foundations , Stone laid older foundations. Maybe from smaller camps or homes .  My  question is dose anyone know of the history before the land was state acquired .  I have thought of this question for years and after recently looking back through some pictures of hunting there now it’s on my mind again . 

• Like 2

I cant say for sure on your area. However, I have wandered over quite a few different state management areas  in Cortland, Chenango, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Jefferson, ....many others.

I always find the foundations of old farms. Frequently looking into local history, you find that entire communities existed but faded away back in the depression and after WW2 as the marginal soils and harsh environments gave out, and the residents moved on. Nothing unusual in that cycle. Poor settlers (which most were) landed on undeveloped lands which were productive for a while, then gave out. Then they moved on...usually westward.

Most of this abandoned land was taken over by the state, and became game management areas. The CCC often replanted and put in dams to create wildlife management ponds/wetlands. Be very aware that when you see these foundations, there will be wells, often hidden or partially fallen in. Frequently there will be several near each other. 

I have found old mill sites near streams (remains of old earthen dams are the give away). 

Near Salisbury (Herkimer County if I remember right) are the remains of an old iron mine and its associated buildings, etc. I had alot of fun one day exploring the sites and looking for the old mines...it was a surface deposit that didnt last long. Lotta cool stuff out there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't care for history in school, but find it quite fascinating now.

It is pretty cool wandering around the woods and seeing signs of settlements or homes from decades if not 100s of years ago..  The Berkshire  hills stripped of timber to turn into charcoal. Or signs of an old town, field, or vineyard in Letchworth.

Pretty neat to try to picture what it looked like then.

• Like 1