Buck Sprint Pro

A few months ago my buddy got me started on "flipper" knives. I've always been a traditional folder type, but after playing around with his Kershaw, I decided to dip my toe in the water and got a Civivi Elementum, and then an Artisan Cutlery Hyperion. I really liked the quick deployment on the flippers, and especially like that I didn't need to use a nail nick to open, since I'm a habitual nail bitter. I'm also a fidgeter, and the flipper knives are kind of fun to just sit around and open/close. So, all pros on them for my book, especially since the Elementum and Hyperion didn't look too "tactical".

So, what was the major drawback on these knives for me? Both of them had a little spot on the blade that said "Made in China". Now, they are great knives, but I've just had engrained in me that if a knife doesn't say "USA" or at the very least "Germany", it's not worth keeping. Even though I know this isn't anything that holds water, it's always there in the back of my mind. So, I searched out a reasonably priced made in the USA flipper, and discovered that Buck was making some. I first grabbed a Buck Vantage Avid, but I'm not a huge fan of it's action since it's riding on brass washers, it's definitely one you have to "flip and flick" to get open. Today I got my Buck 841 Sprint Pro in burlap micarta, and this thing is a dream. The blade is BOS treated S30v, and it runs on ball bearings. It flies open, locks up tight, and is wicked sharp out of the box. Most of all for my peace of mind, it's say "Buck USA" loud and proud on the blade. I'm very happy with it so far, and plan on carrying it quite often.  

IMG_1712.JPEG

IMG_1713.JPEG

IMG_1714.JPEG

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 7:16 AM, Grouse said:

Very nice little Buck knife.

I don't like seeing "China" stamped on a blade either, but some really high quality knives are being made in China these days.  Al Mar knives being the best IMHO.

Thanks, and I agree on the Chinese knives. They are making some really good stuff (and a lot of crap as well). Today I'm carrying a Civivi Elementum, and it's might be one of the nicer knives I own, even being Made in China.