Factory loads

fasteddie

Do factory loads have a low powder charge ? The reason I ask is after moving my scope back last week , I went to the range so I was dead on at 100 yards . I reloaded some 25-06 rounds with 49 , 51 , 53 & 55 grains of powder . Max powder load is 57 grains . I was dead on with 53 grains and 4 1/2" high with 55 grains which leads me to believe that the factory powder charge has to be low ..........

Any thoughts on this ? alt=Surprisedhttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/crazynew2.gif[/img]

Do factory loads have a low powder charge ? The reason I ask is after moving my scope back last week , I went to the range so I was dead on at 100 yards . I reloaded some 25-06 rounds with 49 , 51 , 53 & 55 grains of powder . Max powder load is 57 grains . I was dead on with 53 grains and 4 1/2" high with 55 grains which leads me to believe that the factory powder charge has to be low ..........

Any thoughts on this ? alt=Surprisedhttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/crazynew2.gif[/img]

Is your handload duplicating the factory load using the same bullet?

I have no idea what powder or how much is in the factory load . I am assuming that it must be a few grains less or at least not a maximum load . Actually the max load is 55 grains so I was at max . Not using the same bullet , just the same weight bullet . I should have taken the chronograph with me .

Factory loads will rarely be a max grain loading for legal liability reasons.  Some factory loads will be pretty hot though.  That's why you need to try them out in your rifle to know for certain.

Point of impact has little or nothing to do with the powder charge though.  Higher charges act differently in each rifle due to the twist rate and pressure and velocity differences.  Once again, you would need to test the load in your rifle to find out.  A slower factory load can actually hit higher on the target than a max charge hand load depending on the rifle it's fired from.

• 2 weeks later...

mos tfactory ammo is loaded with mixed powders.  That is why they never divulge the recipe so to speak. They load below the max loads as stated due to liability reasons.  I would say they load mid range, so that the ammo will work in different firearms generically satisfactory for hunting loads. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Not necessarily.  Some factory/commercail loads are hotter than you'd expect.  For example Remington loads their Bronze Points hotter than Core Locks because the construction of the bullet can withstand the higher pressure.  Same is true with Federal Custom and Fusion ammo compared to the blue boxed Premium line. 

• 2 weeks later...

but they are still no where near the  upper end of the limits.  They would be taking on way too much liability loading top end ammo and having guns blow up.  Have you ever chronographed one aginst the other.  I would be willing to bet the differences are minimal.  The bullet may be abe to withstand higher pressures, but the gun is the part of the equation in question. 

Point of impact has little or nothing to do with the powder charge though.  Higher charges act differently in each rifle due to the twist rate and pressure and velocity differences. 

That statement is a little contradictory isn't it.......................................POI can & will change with charge charges (out of the same gun)

FDXX75

In general factory loads are loaded at a lower C.U.P. This is because older guns as well as most autos can not take the max pressure.  However some manufactures have their "Super loads" that they will tell you to not use in _____________ guns.  They are mixed powders so it is hush hush and they are pushing the limits of that cartridge.

As far as point of impact.  Yes a different charge can make a little difference. I find 4 " alot. I have shot bench rest years back and working up loads in a extremely accurate target rifle I have seen 1.5 " alot for charging moveing POI . The only other thing that I can think that could have moved you POI 4" was : have hot the barrel was by the time you got to that particular load.  But truth be known POI is not that important when working up a great load.  Get the group down, then adjust sight in to fit.

exactly see what prints the tightest group consistently, becareful to not over pressureize the rifle if the loads are getting higher, then adjust your scope accordingly.  Also, cheap glass doesn't hold zero as good as even mid-price scopes will.  I don't know what your set up is, just an FYI.  Last point when seeing how a load is performing don't let the barrel heat up and you should run a patch down the barrel evey three rounds.  It will help kep things consistent. 

Factory ammo has to be able to shoot though all different makes of guns in whatever caliber you use. A good example of this is the 45-70 it has to be able shoot though the old trapdoor a lever gun and a bolt gun. They all operate at different pressures so factory ammo has to shoot though all actions for the caliber.

• 2 months later...

Factory ammo is loaded to SAAMI specs. While the .30-06 and .45-70 to cite just two examples are loaded below what they could be due to old military rifles being about, most cartridges are loaded to the max especially the .25-06 which is factory loaded to 53,000 CUP which is magnum territory. Just try going hotter than factory for most cartridges and you'll have enlarged primer pockets and spent primers may even fall out. These are things that are actually occuring with the new, hotter Hornady Superformance ammo. And do you know if you have a tight bore on your rifle? If you do you will be acheiving higher velocities than normal and also higher pressures. If you load a rifle with a tight bore hotter than SAAMI you will risk a case rupture. If you've never experienced one of those believe me they are no fun.

The .30-06 is factory loaded to 50,000 CUP and it can be safely loaded to 52,000. But other than that most cartridges are factory loaded to the maximum safest pressures in all guns.